Stomach sleeping

My daughter is 4 months old and she loves sleeping on her tummy. I put her on her back at night but for naps I'll lay her on her tummy and stay right there with her. When can I put her to bed on her tummy?

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she is old enough to flip over to her tummy on her own, she is old enough to sleep on her tummy. You should ALWAYS put her to bed on her back.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I was told to always lay them on their back at night and if they roll over on their own, then you can leave them, but never put them down on their stomach.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, 4 months is too little to put her to sleep on her tummy. For naps, I suppose that's fine as long as you are there watching her. When she stars to roll over on her own then she is ready to sleep on her tummy.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I never let my son sleep on his tummy until he was able to get that way on his own. I would never take that risk with my child just so I could get a little more sleep at night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Mine were on their tummies from the first night home...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think whatever you're comfortable with. You have the mommy instinct for your child, so if you feel she would benefit from tummy sleep then go for it.

My sister had a hard time getting her children to sleep, so she tried putting them on their tummy and they would sleep so good. All 5 of them are still living and way healthy. Just make sure no blankets are collecting by you lo's face.

Just go by what you feel. If you are apprehensive then don't do it, but if it feels right to you then go for it!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• TalkeIf that is the best way she will sleep, talk to your ped. All three of ours would ONLY sleep on their tummys. If I put them on their backs or sides, they would wake within 10 to 420 minutes and never sleep through the night. Our Ped said it was OK as our risk factors for SIDS was very low meaning no one smoked in our house or around the baby, he had a healthy birth weight, was not premature and I received prenatal care. They say to make sure you have a firm mattress and to keep the room warm enough so the baby can sleep in lightweight clothes comfortably without a blanket. They recommend nothing in their crib with them....I say they because we co-sleep and have a soft bed, but we made sure the pillows were away from him.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The rule is to always put her on her back and let her get comfy however she wants. That means that if she can't roll over on her own, she should be sleeping on her back. The highest risk age for SIDS is 4 to 8 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Emi has slept on her tummy since birth.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009