How would you feel if your toddler was playing with pocketbooks and barbies?

It doesn't bother me but my mother came over yesterday and lil j was playing with my daughter's barbie dolls. He was actually combing their hair. He also likes to play with her pocketbooks. Now he loves to play with his toys as well. But my mom says it doesn't sit right with her and I should stop it now, before he ends up in someone's beauty salon.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 10:11 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL--my bil is one of the wealthiest people I know--and he started as a hair stylist--opened his own shop--developed his own line of products---sold the shop and now has a great life:-) And he isn't "gay":-)
    Get him some GI Joes and introduce them to Barbie:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would say so what? That is steriotypical attitude. Giving boys dolls also teaches empathy, something that alot of boys aren't exposed to and should be. It will help them in marriage and being parents later on. As far as the pocketbooks, to a little boy, it's just a bag to hold stuff.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Um I have kind of a bias opinion on this so I will explain why. My boy cousin used to play barbies with me all the time when he would come over. He would also braid my hair and pick out dresses for me to wear. He would also dance around our backyard and sing to my babydolls. Needless to say 20 years later...he announced he is gay. I am not saying being gay is wrong, and I am not saying that your son will be gay. Boys, especially young boys, like to play with different toys. So is it wrong that he is playing with Barbies? Of course not. Does it mean he will be gay? No. Now if he completely stops playing with boy toys all together and only plays with girl toys...then I would talk to him if you are uncomfortable with that. But I have an older brother and would play with his trucks all the time...and I'm fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Toddlers play with everything from shoes to "girl" toys. I don't think it's a big deal. It would bother my husband more than it would bother me. I say let him play with what interest him. I would keep him away from the dolls when he is like 4 or 5 though. Because this is when you can explain to him that those are girl toys.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• OH COME ON!!! Your mother is just wrong, okay? Let your kid play with any toy he likes for right now no matter what your mother says. If you've met one kid, you've met one kid but my son used to play with my high heels and fingernail polish and he's the most manly seven-year-old you'll ever meet.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Sheesh. Your mom seems so open-minded! My son has dollies we bought for him (no sis to steal the from lol). He also has a "baby-walk" for them, which is a pink stroller. He has a pink Barbie convertible, I give him my old purses, except he calls them backpacks. None of this bothers anyone in my family, because it's great pretend play. We tell him he's such a good little daddy when he "feeds" the doll. And if I had a daughter, she would get a toy car if she wanted one. No gender stereotypes here! :-) Honestly, I know it won't lead my ds to a beauty shop, but even if it did, once I got over the initial shock, I would know he was still the same child I raised and love so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Remember my mom is from a different generation.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My husband played Barbies with his two sisters when he was little. And he's straight as a board.

It's fine! Just don't dress him up and put makeup on him lol.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My family thinks it is crazy that we buy our son 'girl' toys. But he loves his Barbies and purses. I see nothing wrong with it. They are just TOYS!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My husband had a fit when he came home from work one day to find our 2yo son playing dress up with his 3yo sister. He had on her princess dress and high heel shoes and was carrying a little purse. She even put an elastic headband in his hair. I was cracking up because he looked so cute and my husband starts carrying on about how wrong it is and he'll be gay, blah, blah, blah. But it's perfectly fine for our girls to dress up in boy clothes...they won't be gay. Silly double standards.
    My son has 3 sisters so he's surrounded by "girl" toys and he always plays Barbies with his sisters and plays dolls with his 3yo sister, he has his own doll, Boomer, that he's had since he was 1 month old, etc. He's 7 and sure doesn't act gay. He's all boy. And if he does turn out to be gay I won't blame the princess dress and Barbies for it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009