At what age did you let your daughter date? and what was a "date"?

what type of date and what restrictions/limits did you use

CherylMcC

Asked by CherylMcC at 10:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i started dating at 14- And dating for me consisted of mcdonalds and than my parents basement to makeout. (dont let her do it) thats how I lost my Virginity so young... :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I didn't let her! My not quite 13 year old told that she had a bf - 15 years old. Sometimes on the weeks she is allowed to see friends or have a soda, he apparently comes around with them sometime. We told her we didn't like it (we don't like him and she know it as my son is friends with him), but tolerate it as he meets her after school and walks part way home with her (and I can't do anything about that), it has been going on for months (and I can't believe no one ever saw her and told us), and from all I can gather they are acting appropriately for their age. So I am biting my tongue....

That is not what dating should be but I am telling you so you can anticipate such behaviour and warn her and set expectations for how she should date - like if you do think it should be a supervised outing, and not a walk around town. You also might let her set the timing - even young, I'd much prefer a supervised date.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've told my 13 year old that she can go on dates when she is in high school. Which is 9th grade. Dates being going to the movies, or to dinner alone with a guy. And right now she can hang out with groups of friends.

But at the moment I'm kinda lucky, her BF is a boy who moved out of state. Therefore, she can't go on dates with him. But they text ALL THE TIME. THANK GOODNESS FOR UNLIMITED TEXTING!!
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Girls may start "dating" at age 17. They can't date anyone over age 21. Dating in our house is actually more of "courting." They must have a chaperone (not necessarily older, just someone there so they're not alone).
    LaBrKo

Answer by LaBrKo at 9:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009