house cleaning

I am a stay at home mom with a baby and a three year old my s/o is a truck driver so he is gone most of the time .I was wondering how to stay on top of house cleaning.

cjray77

Asked by cjray77 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would try doing a little bit everyday suring nap time. First thing in the AM I start a load of laundry and by morning nap time they are ready to be folded. Or during nap time do the bathrooms one day and dust the next. I find that to be the only time I can truly get housework done. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Make a weekly schedule so that you get used to doing certain chores on certain days. Friday do the vacuuming and dusting. Thursday wash floors. Wednesday clean the countertops and wipe down the kitchen cabinets.  Every day would be clean bathroom and maybe laundry. If you start chores as soon as breakfast is finished then you'll be all set for the rest of the day. Get up and care for the children, put the laundry in, breakfast,  clean up the dishes, wipe down the bathroom, finish the laundry, do the day's chore: vaccuum, etc. Then you are free to take the children to the park or library or shop or stroll around the neighborhood or just play and read to them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm never done, it just starts over and over, I am always up to my knees in landry, I'm not a stay at home mom but have alot of respect for them.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I learned to do what I can when I can as long as its neat and clean. I try to keep it neat so when I do spot cleaning like dusting sweeping and mopping it doesnt take as long I can go right through. I also learned to try not to do it all at once. I have a large 3 lvl townhome with a front and back yard and it is too much for me to do at once. I do one level here and one level there. It has helped to straighten up every night before bed because sometimes I get up early in the am and start cleaning too.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 11:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Doing different chores on different days, and nap time cleaning.

Also, try tidying up after you put the kids to bed for the night. Or, if you have more energy, do some heavy cleaning then. When you wake up in the morning and things are at least tidy, it makes things seem not so hectic. You feel more relaxed and you only have a little bit to do here and there.

Anonymous

• I was getting up every morning and hour or two before the kids and sweepting/mopping (whole house is tiled) and doing dishes as soon as the meal was over. I'm a packrat tho, so I have to watch myself carefully. I've gotten out of the habbit of doing it daily and now I'm in a mess again too but an hour or two a day till you get it right and fix one area for the kids to play in helped me before... hope it will again because I'm sick of looking at it like this and summer is going to be here all too soon so two home all day...
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i agree on doingg a job a day, so you are not overloaded all in one day
    lilredsfrm67

Answer by lilredsfrm67 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have a cleaning schedule that I stick to. Besides cleaning up after meals (loading/unloading dishwasher, wiping down counters and stove, etc.) and just general pick up around the house and sweeping/vacuuming, I follow this schedule for real cleaning:
    Monday - bathrooms, utility room and kitchen
    Tuesday - dining room and office
    Wednesday - bedrooms
    Thursday - living room

For instance, when I do the bedrooms, I wash sheets, etc. Since I keep everything picked up daily, it only takes about an hour to really get in and clean whatever room I have that day. I have a huge shrunk in my living room so I only dust that on Thursdays, but vacuum as needed. Hope that makes sense.
    Christi
    ChristisCandles

Answer by ChristisCandles at 11:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009