• In the Spotlight:

Is being gay a choice??

I have nothing against gays. Seriously lol, leave my sex life alone & I'll leave yours alone. But let me explain my line of thought: It has been proven, last time I heard anyway, that there is a "gay" gene, just as there is an addiction gene. For instance, alchohism runs in my family. So, I avoid alchohol because I know I could very well wind up addicted. I have had lesbian encounters. It was a thrill. But, I have chosen not to do that anymore, just as I choose to avoid alchohol. Just because you're predispitioned (sp I know!) to something does not neccesarily mean you have to give in to it. I'm not trying to start fights, this is just something I've thought about a lot. And I try to get on a few times a day, but usually I'm not on all day. If you don't understand my line of thinking, I'll try to explain it better when I'm back online (throughout the day but not all day)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Try not to comment that gays are wrong or whatever. I just want to know if you think that, to an extent, it is a choice to give in to their urges :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes, it's a choice to give into the temptations from the devil. It can be fought, just like any other temptation, and given to God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i think it's a choice. you choose who you want to have sex with. i choose to have sex with men, not women. so yeah i think it's a choice
    Anonymous

• I don't think you can chose your orientation.

I do however think that you can make the choice to act on it or not.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It is a good question. I figure that some people are born gay and some people choose to be gay. My cousin for example was probably born gay. From the age of 2 on he only played with girl toys, only had girl friends, never hung out with his dad or his brothers, etc. We thought he was gay his whole life, and turns out he is! However there are some people out there that are straight and have many bad experiences with the opposite sex, so they turn gay and find what they were missing in the same sex. As for alcoholics, yes it is true that if you have many alcoholics in your family, you have a higher chance to become one. Some people do, some people don't. I do think some people are born with addictive personalities that assist them with their addictions and then I do think some people choose to be addicted to something because it comforts them in a way. So to answer your question I think you can be both. A born, and a chooser.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it is a choice for some, but not for others. I truly believe some people are born gay and that is just the way they are. It occurs all across nature, not just with people.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Being gay is not a choice. I believe that people are born the way they are. It may be a choice to openly live that lifestyle given the social stigma many people place against it, but to be attracted to a person of the same sex is not a choice any more than it is to be attracted to a person of the opposite sex.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No it's not a choice. You are born that way. And I don't mean the raging flammer way. Just gay. Not all homosexuals are flamers as the media portrays. I know several gay ppl that no one but me knows they are gay. A few of them were raised in very good religious homes, on good morals. But can't help who they are. And boy have they tried to change. Even paying good money to go to those ridiculous reform camps to turn them straight. Now if that doesn't prove they were born that way I don't know what will. I don't think any person in the world would wake up one day and say "I think I'll be gay"

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You are correct. We all have freewill. We know that the Bible speaks against homosexuals as it speaks against being a drunkard, liar, etc. What makes these things wrong is giving into and acting on them.
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 10:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Even paying good money to go to those ridiculous reform camps to turn them straight.

They really have these kinds of places??  Rediculous. 

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009