Medi-caid

Me and my boyfriend are going to get married tomorrow through the courts, so the baby can have his lastname. I currently have Medi-caid. He only makes about 20,000 a year so I would still be qualified for Medi-caid right?. Im concerned I wont have it anymore and I am 23 weeks pregnant. Can someone tell me as much information as they know about this situation?? Thanks so much!

Mrsdenick28

Asked by Mrsdenick28 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are pregnant, you should be able to get it. But i guess that really depends on what state you live in.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it depends on the state you live in. In LA every pregnant woman could get Medicaid regardless of income. For example, if she had private insurance, she could still qualify for Medicaid to an extent, but not full Medicaid benefits. All you can do is call your local Human Services office and ask. You also should be able to apply through your local hospital and in some cases the local WIC office accepts applications and sends them to Medicaid for you. Good luck.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Do you have a website that could possbily give me information on the requirements in Virginia?.
    Mrsdenick28

Answer by Mrsdenick28 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• you dont have too be married for ur baby too have his last name !! U can name ur baby whatever u like!!
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• http://www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/me_famis/
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Im from new york and every women that is prego quafies.
    carebear875

Answer by carebear875 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If Im not mistaken it goes also by income and they will use his income as well. My God sister got married and her hubby makes very little. They took all of her benefits. I would call the case worker first and ask.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 11:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Like one of the pp stated, you do not need to be married for you to give your baby his last name. He can be on the birth certificate too, but he will have to sign an affidavit at the hospital before you leave, then if you want you can get married after the baby arrives...GL!
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think that is to much money. You can google medicade and your state to be taken to the state site for it. There is a calculator there that will tell you yes or no. We only make $1,400 a month together combined in FL (17k a year) and we just barely qualified for it. We are not married, its not our thing we did a commitment ceramony instead, but the baby will still have his last name. You can give it any name you choose. Also, if for any reason you are concerned about support for the child, you don't need to be married, if he were to up and leave either way he would have to pay for the baby.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• In ohio, every woman thats pregnant can get medicaid. it doesnt matter of the income, as far as i know. Good luck and congrats. and p.s. you dont have to be married to give your baby his last name. you can name your baby what ever you want to. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009