My 8 week old is sleeping through the night anywhere btwn 6-8 hours. Should I get up and pump in the middle of the night to keep my supply up? I am engorged when I wake up from not feeding for 6-8 hours. I don't want to quit producing because I go so long.

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, i would. And i DID actually. Although i hated pumps, i would just use my hands. It seemed to work A LOT better for me that dealing w/ a pump. I would wake up in the middle of the night & my breasts would hurt so much that i would grab my cup of water & just start squirting the milk in it w/ my hands. Eventually, i would leave a baby bag (you know the plastic baggies for bottles), or a bottle next to my bed & i would squirt it in there, then throw it in the freezer, or fridge.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• from what I understand, your supply will adjust on it's own. So I wouldnt' worry, but if you are too uncomfortable then I would pump a little bit to take the edge off. Otherwise, ENJOY sleeping.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Your supply should adjust so you're not uncomfortable anymore if she keeps sleeping for that long of a stretch. Then if she starts waking up more frequently and you nurse her on demand, your supply will adjust to that to. I wouldn't wake up from sleep just to pump. That said, if you're putting her down to bed before you go to bed, you can pump a couple of hours after she goes to bed (like right before you do), so you can store some milk for her to have in a bottle if you need to be away from her. I do this every night or every other night with my 7 month old. That gives us a little more freedom so that my mother can watch her every once in awhile so I can go get things done or have a date night with my husband.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you want the extra milk for when you're away from baby, then yes, pump, If not, enjoy the sleep. Your body will adjust to your baby's hours. You won't make less milk, you'll just make it at a different time of day.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My lo slept through the night at 8 weeks too and I just took advantage of my extra sleep. My milk supply never went down. If they don't need to eat in the middle of the night then you don't need that milk coming in. The engorgement will go down soon.

However, this is a good opportunity to get a stock of milk if that's something you want. I would just wake up 3 hours before your lo usually wakes up to pump. But it isn't necessary.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes...just to get that extra milk out and you're not leaking all over the place.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Your supply will adjust. Pumping will only make things worse. And when she starts waking up again (as she most likely will) your supply will adjust again. Your body is a wonderful machine and, as long as you nurse on demand, will ALWAYS adjust to any changes in nursing habits.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• yes i would bec my son is only five weeks and i cant keep up with him i am not full for eight hours....so i have the oposite problem...
    Arisen19

Answer by Arisen19 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009