when can a baby be spoiled??

my little man is 5 months old, he is so happy as long as someone is holding him or playing with him. which is fine with me i am just worried that he does not get enough floor time . i have let him fuss a few minutes every day and he is ok on his own for like 5-10 minutes then starts screaming. the worst part of it is when we go anywhere he hates being in the carseat and screams until someone gets him out.. is this a phase or something i am going to have to help break him of?

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably just a phase. Have you tried getting in the floor w/ him? Have you tried laying on floor w/ him w/ his toys? I have learned over the years after these four youngens that you can not spoil them w/ affection. You can hold them so much they expect to be held every second but I don't believe that to be so until they are toddlers. I think he is a little insecure cause he is changing everyday. Just try to get on his level and have fun and don't worry about 'spoinling' him by holding him.

However, they can be spoiled by buying them toys, etc everytime you go to the store. Just a heads up.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I honestly don't know the answer to this one. "Experts" say that you can't spoil a baby, but they are creatures of habit. My daughter was like that. She was an exceptionally clingy child and it drove me NUTS. She finally grew out of it. She is my youngest, so I had another child to take care of, so sometimes she just had to scream, and guess what??? It didn't kill her, or give her a complex OR make her insecure. They do tend to grow out of it though. Best of luck, I feel for ya
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I worried about that too but I have to agree that you can't spoil a baby with holding them ! my son had colic til he was 5 months old and was constantly held - they eventually grow out of it - my son is now 17 months old and still likes to be held and isn't the most independant child but when I can't pick him up I just let him cry and he gets over it -just work with floor time and less and less holding if you feel you need to. some kids just hate being in their car seats though.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• yea I held both my kids ALOT when babies, I loved to snuggle them soo much, now they are 15 and 9, so enjoy it cause it goes by fast
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, probably after 2 hours out of the fridge . .. then the baby could spoil.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• A baby can't be spoiled until they become a child that can ask for things want and if you are constantly giving them what they ask for or giving in to let them do what they want.

You definately can't spoil a baby. I think some infants just need more "people" time than others. My MIL thought I spoiled all three of mine because we always picked them up when they cried, but I truly think they grew to know that we would always be there when they needed them and I can honestly say they hardly cried. Sorry, can't help on the carseat thing. I think some babies just don't like being confined. My neice would cry none stop when put in hers. Our now 11 month old would spit up each and every time we put him in his carrier until he was about three months old.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You can't spoil a baby with attention. I've held all my kids for most of the day, everyday as babies. None of them are spoiled.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Many, many people will swear that a baby can't be spoiled. I've always wondered about that... does a magic switch in their little heads get flipped the day they turn 1 that means they now CAN be spoiled? Of course not.
    Becoming spoiled, becoming used to always getting your own way, is a slow process. Newborns need to have their needs filled NOW. Older babies need to start learning that sometimes they won't get what they want (picked up, tummy time over, applesauce instead of mashed peas) or they won't get it NOW.

I'd make sure he gets lots of short tummy times all day long. Let him play by himself sometimes, get down and play with him at others... in both cases, when he really starts to complain end that session.

If he has good head control, get him a Jumperoo or an exersaucer. He'll be able to see more than the floor, can watch what you are doing, and will be working many of the same tummy time muscles.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes! you can spoil babies! I work in a nursery and there is a 1 year old, I think 14 months now, ans she will scream and lay in the floor crying if she's not held constantly. I mean, you put her down to get a cup or change another baby's diaper, and she cries. And does not stop. For hours. Someone spoiled her! Her needs are met, she's not dirty, hungry, etc., there are toys, it doesn't matter. Do the future caregivers a favor, a let your baby learn to entertain himself. For short periods of time, at least. Crying does not hurt.
    Anonymous

• You can't ever spoil a baby. They need and want to be held.
    Anonymous