Why do some people consider things that are not abuse to be abuse?

Putting your child in the corner is not abuse, making their sleep scedule lete is not abuse, giving them a spanking on the butt with your hand is not abuse, giving them solids at 3 months is not abuse. (Bad judgement maybe). Grounding them is not abuse, along with sending them to their room, feeding them junk food, letting them watch cartoons all day to keep them occupied, etc. Those are NOT abuse, some are poor choices, and some are a form of discipline that may be different that yours, but abuse is physically hurting someone, mostly out of anger, beating them, sexually abusing them, verbally abusing them, cursing at them, discouraging them, yelling out of anger and calling them names. THOSE are abuse. Also starving them is a form of abuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was wondering the same thing when I read a question someone posted in a different section saying she thinks it's abuse that her SIL lets her child stay up until midnight and sleep in until 9. Abuse? Really?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• yeah not abuse just poor judgement
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• People are too touchy these days and super judgmental. They will have an opinion about EVERYTHING and can't seem to keep it to themselves!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I competely agree with you! Bad judgement for some things.. But spanking, letting your kids watch tv.. letting them stay up late.. is not abuse.. ! Beating them, calling them names like you said.. That's abuse.. Not having sufficient food, clothes, or housing is abuse..
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well neglect is also abuse and letting them watch tv all day to keep them out of your hair in my mind is not only a poor choice but a form of abuse. Every mom thinks her way is best and there are a lot of women out there who just watch and wait to blow the wistle on someone. These women make it hard for the rest of us. Putting a child in the corner may not be abuse, however in my humble oppinion it is a form of shaming them. I beleive you can discipline your child without breaking their spirt. I think living in a filthy home is a form of abuse but it goes on everyday. I think kids not in car seats are abused but I see it all the time. I guess it is all in how you look at things. I think a lot of times people get on a high horse thinking they are better than everybody else, but those are the ones who should watch it, they just may be the next one under the microscope!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• because people are different......thank god!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• well said anon 11:12! Really, you can put the word abuse next to anything if they are doing it to the extreme.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Judgemental people who think their way is the only, right way of doing things tend to see people doing things differently as people who are abusing their chidren. Now some of these people might be very nice people who just care too much, but THEY are the ones using poor judgement when they meddle in other's way of doing or acting or parenting or believing. Other people with this mind-set are rigid, controlling people who want to MAKE everybody act just like them. Some people go so far as to think child abuse is raising your child in a different religion from theirs. Then they are dangerous. We all need to live and let live. There is real abuse out there and it needs to be stopped, but belonging to a different political party, or a different religion, or having a different bedtime for your child is not child abuse!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Answered at 10:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Well neglect is also abuse and letting them watch tv all day to keep them out of your hair in my mind is not only a poor choice but a form of abuse.

I do agree with this. We do have the TV on all day, but I am usually in the room with them and we talk about what's going on in the TV shows.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Letting your kid watch tv all day to keep them occupied is more along the lines of neglect, which in extreme could be considered abuse. But it's typically considered neglect, which really isn't any better. Junk food? My kids eat junk food, but no excessive amounts. The rest is pretty much poor choices, and ones that will probably be regreted. My kids do watch a lot of tv. Not to keep them occupied, but because they like to. They still spend time with us as a family.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009