Bilingual Baby

I want my son to be able to speak Spanish as it will be greatly important for him to do so when he gets older, especially living in South Florida. But I myself cant speak spanish (despite those spanish classes I took in school) Ive read that teaching your baby another language while he is still learning his first is very effective. If anyone that has taught their baby another language, which you do not know yourself, how did you do it? Did you get baby DVDs? Take a class yourself? Did you just say random words in that other language? And if your baby is now older does (s)he speak that language?
ANY information on how you did it would be GREAT! =)

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe a spanish babysitter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Unfortunately I cannot afford a babysitter
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You could get some dora books. I think it's a lot harder when parents don't speak the language. *I* personally don't see the importance of spanish, but if that's the language you pick you should learn too. They make easy kids books/dvds.

We are planning on teaching my daughter German, but we are waiting until she get's better at English.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I should add, that we do use some words here. She can pick them up, but we don't do conversations yet. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it is an excellent idea. It would work out well if you could meet a Spanish-speaking mom who was interested in speaking English, then you could each learn, and at no cost. Sesame Street has some Spanish words, and I think there is at least one other children's show that uses Spanish. See what your library has as far as Spanish tapes or CD's to see if there is a lesson system that you prefer. Google learning Spanish to see what other options you have. (Ideally there would even be a site that you could use for free that would have simple words in text and then spoken.) Then play the CD or DVD that you decide on and you and the little one could learn together. You could use the English words and the Spanish words in turn. Such as Hello! Ola! and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 11:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it's important for you to learn it too. Try the rosetta stone dvds. We speak to our dd in both English and Spanish. She has lots of bilingual toys too.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's fantastic on many levels. Children who are bi-ligual use a higher brain percentage than children who are not. Many people think it can confuse speech, but that is bull. Well, it may be true of your child currently has any speech impediments, but I'm assuming he doesn't. My mother is from South America & my dad lived in Spain for about 10 years (he is American). So, i could actually speak Spanish better than English when i was 3. By the time preschool rolled around, i was speaking both English & Spanish. My daughter is 7, & speaks Spanish very well also. When she was a baby/toddler I would speak BOTH Spanish to her & English. She never had any problems with speech, & she is just brilliant. Her Spanish teacher is VERY impressed.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You live in Florida, I'm sure you can find someone Spanish that your child could hang around. Look at the playground, library, school. My child had Spanish class also that started in Kindergarten. Do they do Spanish class that young in FL.? I would make some friends that speak it, like Bmat said above, maybe you could exchange some English tutoring for Spanish tutoring.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's important that YOU learn the language correctly if you're going to try to teach it to him. Check into a local community college or community education class and kind of teach her as you learn, maybe?

I taught my boys ASL and they still recognize the signs, even though we don't use it on a regular basis now that they are speaking. If you want her to really be bilingual, it needs to be used every day.

There is also the option of her learning it in school. My oldest will start Spanish in kindergarten if he makes it into the charter school to which we've applied for him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009