Digging dog...

Any ideas on what to do to keep my dog from digging out of the yard? Yesterday a pit was at our fence. They were barking and running back and forth. Later on my dog dug under the fence and got out. He has been digging at the fence lately, and sticking his snout through the fence. I don't like the idea of chaining him up, which is what we will do until I can figure something else out. But does anyone have any ideas? I might get some fenching, attach it to the bottom, and fold it so it lays on the ground. But that's all I got so far.

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

• The best thing I did was to get a visible electric fence. It shows them where the zap is coming from since it is a 1 inch strip of white fencing. It also give them a low zap unlike those collars the dogs wear for the invisible fence (which, if you read the manufacturer's warning, can als leave burns on their necks). I've been zapped by it once or twice when gardening, and it isn't enough to hurt-- just enough to get your attention. Now I don't even turn the fence on-- they know not to cross it.

Now I use it to border my gardens without even attaching it to the power source. They know to stay out.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• This was pretty interesting:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060808063003AApBTyt
    I know this will sound disgusting - but it does work. When your dog digs a hole - put some of its own feces in the hole and cover it with a little dirt. When it starts to dig in that same area it will stop. For some reason dogs are absolutely repelled by their own waste. After doing thus a few times - it will soon start associating digging holes with unpleasant things and will stop. We did this along our fence line and our dogs have not tried to dig there for over a year now. It only took about a week to break them of it.

I made him a sand pit(box) and I buried treats in the sand, now he only digs in the pit I just replace the treats occasionally.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• We put their poop in the holes as well. It does work.
    Mommyto1DD

Answer by Mommyto1DD at 12:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• poop in holes didnt work for my dog...my dog eats his poop..eww gross i know!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• this is wierd but it works pour tabasco sauce on the bottom of the fence and a little bit in the ground where he digs as soon as his nose touches it he will learn the scent and never dig there again do this twice a week then slowly stop putting it out there and he will assume that its still there and not touch it.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I tried the poop, didn't work. I have tried red pepper, that didn't work either. We just tied him out with the thing you hammer in the ground. He's kinda mad.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The electric fence along the bottom of the fence is a good idea. Also, if your dog goes out while supervised, you can buy a shock collar and zap him when he digs. That way he thinks that something bit him while he was doing it and will soon stop altogether. Just let him wear the collar for a few days without zapping him first so that he doesn't associate that particular collar with the correction and do it while he's not wearing it.
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem and when we moved they stopped digging in the new fence, till we had to close them off partially because of work being done on the house and now ours are digging again too. I hate to do the electric fence because of my kids and so I've got one of those stake things but if a wild animal comes up, he's stuck he can't even run from and there's no protection at all... but I only let him out there for a little while at and bring him in the rest of the time except when we're walking him or out with him. I can't take any chances now tho, one of my chihuahua's was out there and went thru the bigger one's hole and got ran over (I'd put him in the fence to potty safely... little did I know). Good luck to you, I'm thinking the electric fence is what I'm going to have to do too but when you turn it off, they do know... the fence hums when it's on
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009