Whatever happened to married couples working together as partners?

This is kind of an inquiry of an answer I saw in another question. In regards to a man/woman standing up to their spouse and forcing them to make their spouse let their parents see the kids.
Whatever happened to married couples working together as partners and if the grandparents are apart of that, it's because they are trusted by both parents? Not one parent forcing the other to let the grandparents see the kids.
In my marriage, there is a general 2 yeses and 1 no- rule. Both of us have to agree on something, especially when it comes to the kids and trusting people around our kids.
Why would a parent not want their adult child to work together with their spouse? It seems that there is this push to make their adult child work against their spouse for their (the grandparents) own selfish reasons. I don't understand!
I hope all that made sense. Some insight would be appreciated.

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 11:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• That grandparent might be the controlling type. They might think that their child is not mature enough to make the right decisions. It may not always be because they want their child to work against their spouse but it could be because they are so use to running their child's life and how dare this other person step in. Grands need to let go and let their kids become an adult.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree....
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Marriage partnership has gone out the window along with proper parenting, self accountablility etc...it's easier these days to either just give in, ignore the problem, submit and sue
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm not sure what question you're referring to but I agree. I think too many married couples are selfish and out to please only themselves. No one thinks about marriage as being work...it's all glamorous and fun....then they get a divorce.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It could also be said why would a spouse make their partner choose between them and their own parents? One is just as bad as the other. Just because you are grown and married doesn't mean your parents don't deserve to be treated with the same respect they have the rest of your life.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I see what you're saying, Chrissy. At the same time, I feel that when you do get married, you and your spouse become one (so to speak) and your parents become extended family. I don't think a parent should take precedents over the spouse, but if deserved, the parent should be respected.

I agree with you anon :52.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i think it's silly to marry someone without first talking about how your going to parent and making sure you guys have the same beliefs in how your home will function. it's a matter of respect for each other and each others parents. couples are suppose to work together and you both make compromises. you don't stand up having a power struggle and expect things to work out.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009