Do You Think the Government Should Offer EVERYONE Healthcare?

It gripes me that not one president has not passed some kind of bill to allow ALL americans health insurance coverage of some type. Even if we have to pay some co-pay for certain services. I work part time and where I work there is no insurance. Either cut small businesses a break so they can afford to give their employees coverage, or start a program that covers ALL americans. I work and I have some health issues and can't even see a doctor because what is wrong with me I need surgery for. Even just a simple checkup is expensive paying cash.

How can the government insure lazy moms(not all are lazy) who keep having kids, yet I am a WORKING mom and I can't get anything? Yes i was on welfare in my lifetime, but I GOT A JOB and got off of it.

Just curious what you think about all this. The govt is bailing out wall street and auto companies, but won't help their own people. Disgusting if you ask me.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 11:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I think that government should regulate insurance companies and offer offer affordable health care plans. I'm on "government insurance" and it's fantastic. I've had a baby, surgeries, medication all sorts of stuff. I think everyone should have access to Tricare and if you're not military pay an affordable premium based on how much you pay.

I read that one of you pays somewhere near $900 A MONTH of health care and I think that's horrible.

I would not want to have a health care system ran like Canada. My family up there pays 15% sales tax and other high taxes.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• if that happens its going to turn into SOCIALISM!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't like that idea at all! Do you know how hard it would be to get in to see the doctor if that happened? You think waiting in the ER waiting room NOW is a nightmare....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The gov doesn't have money we the people do and they take it from us to fund their social programs no matter if they be good or bad or if we want to or not.I am not for the bailouts nor any Universial healthcare.Healthcare more affordable sure but not goverment ran crap they screw up pretty much everything they take hold of.For those who are disabled and such that is a different thing imo.The less government the better is my belief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't understand what you mean reneek3. Are you saying americans shouldn't get some kind of healthcare cover because it would be too full at the waiting room?

I'm not accusing. I am just trying to understand what you mean't.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it should be offered, not required.

As an adult, I think you should have the option to buy into a government plan or choose a private insurer.

Children, however, should be automatically covered for everything.

Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 11:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree with Imaginaryfriend. I went for years as an adult without health care coverage, and learned to care for myself for the most part. I rarely went to the Dr (only in DIRE emergencies. I think 2-3 times in the 7 years I was uninsured). I don't have any major medical issues, though. I feel adults with serious medical issues and ALL children should absolutely have access to affordable health care.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, we should all have the oppotunity to have coverage if our jobs don't provide it or we can't afford it. I think we should still have to pay a co-pay, even if it's a smaller amount and I think we should have to pay RESONABLE premiums. I don't think we should all be enrolled in the same program! If every single American had the same exact coverage for free, what do you thin it would be like to see a doctor? You'd never have a same-day appointment, that's for sure! Not unless you're willing to wait in the ER for 8 hours....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am all for some kind of government assistance where even if we have to pay them for it, or give money to employers for assistance in coverage plans. You do realize that our tax dollars also go to uninsureds who go to the ER anyway and can't pay a dime. It's a loss for the hospital that I'm sure they can write off on their taxes.

Either way, offered or required I just think the government should take care of the people first then the big wigs in corporations. You'd rather have them bailout wall street than care for a mother with three kids who has a tumor and could possibly die and be taken from her children? Or a mother with a simple cold that turns into pneumonia? Alot of uninsured people lose jobs because of time lost at work because they don't have the money to seek medical attention.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Once a country Nationalizes healthcare it can never go back. Do your research, there is no country who has gone to UHC and then was ever able to return to privatizing the sector. In a way, I wish everyone who wants it could have it. And I would say good for them as they stand in line or wait at home for days with broken bones, illnesses or surgery that needs to be performed.

Osteoporosis? I'm sorry you're old Ms.Smith it comes with the territory, don't fall down or we'll have to let you die. Sincerly
    Tom Daschle
    Emphysema? I'm sorry you chose to smoke Mr. Smith, but thankyou for your monetary contributions to SCHIP Sincerly
    Barack Hussein Obama
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009