How do you discipline an 18month old?

I don't believe in spanking him and I don't believe in yelling. I just try to have a very firm voice. He doens't understand timeouts either but I do think he understands when he shouldn't touch something.

Brooks831

Asked by Brooks831 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out is something they LEARN so you need to teach him that it's no fun.

(1) Redirect and remove is still the first line of defense. Take the forbidden item away or move him to a new spot and spend a few minutes playing with him as a reward for him not throwing a fit and for happily forgetting whatever it was he was doing.

(2) Calm down time. This is the first step in time outs. Pick a good time out spot - someplace with no toys, no TV, no dangers, and where you can stay near by and watch him. Do not use his room or his crib, though an empty playpen is fine. When he pitches a fit, pick him up and put him in his time out spot. Leave him there until he is calm. You can sing softly but do not try to talk him out of his fit. Pretend to read a book or write a shopping list but stay in his sight. Leaving his sight while he is in the middle of an emotional storm may cause momre panic.

-cont -
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• We would take our index finger and just flick their hands lightly. The twins got into everything when they were mobile. It isn't really painful, more of a shock I think and it's not a spanking. I don't really spank my kids, haven't spanked any of them but maybe three times in the past five years of their life. now when I send them to their room they go, usually screaming like crazy as they fly up the stairs, but I don't have to spank anymore. Which I'm thankful for. I'm the disciplinarian here mainly, he always tells them "i'm gonna tell mommy!" if they do something wrong. LOL. Probably because I follow through on what I say will happen(i.e. no tv, no DS, no park time ...etc..) and he wants to be the "fun parent". Fine by me.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Once he is calm, pick him up and say four short sentences like this:
    "Thank you for calming down."
    "I know you were angry when I took the scissors away."
    "Scissors can hurt you."
    "Let's find a fun toy to play with."
    Then play with him for a few minutes as a reward for calming down and moving on.

(3) Time outs are used when a rule is broken or when he repeatedly goes after something he is being told he can't have. It works the same as calm down EXCEPT once he is calm, you set a timer and leave him in time out until the timer rings. Then you pick him up and say those same sentences. He gets 1 minute per year of age and half minutes are allowed so he would get 1.5 minutes in time out.

This has worked wonders for my daughter. Toddlers are far, FAR smarter than we think and they learn this is no fun VERY quickly. Don't hesitate to do this out shopping either. He needs to learn that rules apply everywhere.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• great advice kaycee14! I am a grandmother and find your advice great, my grandson is 20 months and just starting to "flex" his willpower and throw a fit or 2 and I was not sure what to do as I didnt want to spank this precious little prince . THANKS
    mary312

Answer by mary312 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Cinder's advice seems pretty decent..
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 17 and half months. i have give her time out in her crib
    if she is eating and being bad i push her high chair to side so she can not see us unless she turn her head and watch us eat dinner.

i put my daughter in her crib for 15 mins
    i don mind the crying because i can handle it.
    I am really strict with my daughter . She know what to touch and what not to touch.
    Give the him angry face.. that should teach them not to be doing something not suppose to do
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I recommend Dr. Sear's discipline book. (You can probably get it at the library). I also recommend "Happiest Toddler on the Block" (you can get that in DVD).
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thanks Cinder I will definately try those. I don't like spanking. Look at checking out Dr. Sear's book Jaysmommy recommended.
    JAMom07

Answer by JAMom07 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• WELL SINCE YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN A GOOD OLD FASHION BUTT WHIPPN, THAT HAS WORKED FOR YEARS, OR YELLING, JUST DONT DO ANYTHING!! LET YOUR KID RUN WILD AND FREE AND JUST LET HIM GROW UP TO DO WHATEVER AND WHEN HES IN JAIL LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD, YOU HIS MOTHER CAN TELL THE JUDGE OR THE VICTUMS FAMILY, THAT YOU ARE SORRY BUT YOU JUST DIDNT BELIEVE IN CORPRALE PUNISHMENT!! AND THAT YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!
    Anonymous

• We're really going to reinforce the timeout thing. You're right kaycee14, toddlers are way waaay smarter than we give him credit for. I choose timeouts over yelling and spanking because my boy is not bad. He doesn't do things to try and be mean. BUT, he does need to learn that he has limits and expectations and that they will be inforced. And I'll love him no matter what. And for the "anonymous" poster who actually 'yelled' at me for not spanking my child, good luck with that method. Thanks everyone else for your replies! My home is a lot more peaceful now my son knows what is expected of him and knows what his consequences are. And I think PEACEFUL HOME is what we're all aiming for.
    Brooks831

Answer by Brooks831 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009