I want anyone any wife from any type of branch to enligten me

please help me my fiance is joining the airforce and i have so many questions and i just need help lol. I dont exactly get this new military thingy yet. I know it will be hard to be without him through BT and TTS but after school and he is stationed I will be able to move with right?(note: We will already be married) and how is life? We want to have children within the next 2 yrs or maybe sooner. is it a good thing or what? im so lost please help.

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Travel

• i dont know about how the air force does things. But my hubby and i were dual military. Marine corps. We married after MOS school. As long as you are married before he gets his first permanent duty station, and has you in his SRB as his wife. You will be able to travel with him. (only if its a duty station where he able to be accompanied). It would depend on his job/unit on deployment opportunities. Having kids is common, but there are people/groups affilitated with the base that would be able to help you and him with any deployment assistance. Not sure if the airforce can use the military one source..pretty sure any branch can. Its a free call/online service to help with ANY questions you may have about the military. Hope it helps!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm an Air Force wife for 17 years. I agree militaryonesource is great. You can pm me if you want and I'll answer as much as I can.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've been a Air Force wife for 12 years, and I LOVE it. It's been the best thing we've ever done. If you are already married when he goes into basic (or at least by the time he finishes school) then you will be able to move with him. There's very few bases in the Air Force that family can not accompany. I have 3 kids also, and I can tell you their life is really good because of the Air Force. The younger ones go to the Elementary school on base, the medical is free if you go Tricare Prime and go to military facilities, on base housing is decent and free, as are utilites if you live in base housing. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• not all base housing is free--if it's now contract controlled you will pay utilities and rent. You'll just actually see you BHA and have to set up allotments.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ya alotments suck..but hey, you could be paying more for rent elsewhere! plus, everyone needs to be saavy of how they use their utilities (lots of people we know moved when contracted housing shut down here and whined about 400 dollar electric bills! use a fan! lol) this is the best life i could ever imagine! i love being a spouse and never forget that all those other women who are spouses were in your shoes at one point, and most are glad to help and make you feel welcome and at home! also, there are very few people who are married, living in housing, and are single..so youll be surrounded by families! just like every thing else in life, if its worth having, its worth fighting for...so never let anyone tell you no! if you get to an area, find out local things to do and dont be like the other people who whine about nothin to do..the locals always find stuff! good luck and im an AF wife too if ya ever need advice!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 4:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009