Any 25 + yr olds out there who have been thru "rough" times and got thru it?

Have you had really rough times? I mean DUI's, unexpected pregnancy while dating. Moved back home with parents.
Trying to "find who you are" so to speak.

What opened your eyes and are you on a good path? What did you do to get there?

gr-mom2

Asked by gr-mom2 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ugh i am 24 years old, i am working out my 3rd....yes 3rd DUI so i moved back in with my mom in the midst of that i found out i was pregnant. I was planning on joining the army but hmmmm well ya can't do that being pregnant. It's still all a little overwhelming. All i do is do a little bit at a time. My problem was that i always look at the big picture(fines, classes etc.) and that makes it hard to think you can accomplish everything and get back on track. All i can say is that you have to take small steps and do one thing at a time, over time you'll find your actually getting somewhere with yourself and your life. I'm not all together yet and i don't have a magic piece of advice to fix it all, just know that it could always be worse and what you have is not that bad. Write down ONE thing you want to get done that will help you, something small, do it and continue with that.
    melonhead2169

Answer by melonhead2169 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• When I had trouble finding who I was I asked myself what would my parents feel or do. If they would disapprove, then that was a huge strike against it. Not that I didn't make up my own mind, but it was comforting to feel grounded, to have a starting point. I made mistakes even so, but I then tried to do better.

Answer by Bmat at 12:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I kept going back to the same abusive man. No children by him, Thank Heavens. Finally called my mom on the day he started working, told her to pick me up. Left every possession in that house, never looked back. Lived with her for a while. Broke myself of the drug addiction he had forced upon me. Yes forced, at first. After a while I was willing. Turned my life back to religion, which one isnt important but it is Christianity. Within 3 years I was back with my husband, who I had left for the abuser (long story, he was out of state) blessed with two children, and found a surprisingly cheap house that we own free and clear. Some would say it is just luck, or fate, or whatever. But I credit (my) God with saving me from myself! :-)
    Anonymous

• I have had a DUI... NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT... and not really who I am... but it happened. I got through it.. I was petrified, butI got through it. Brick walls are here for a reason :) (you know how I feel about those darn brick walls) ... I am here for you if you need me :)
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Where is your self-esteem? You need to love yourself, treat yourself with kindness- you deserve better. Don't ever forget it.
    joy6983

Answer by joy6983 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009