Why does my Son shred books, boxes, paper... anything he can when he is sleepy?

Anytime My son gets really sleepy he will sit there and just shred books that he has in his room I have taken the books out of his room now but he will find anything he can to shred. He doesnt do it angry or anything like that he will just sit there calm as can be and start shreding whatever he can find. If anyone has any Ideas of why let me know. Oh and he just turned 3.

TiffanyE05

Asked by TiffanyE05 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's just a soothing action for him. You might try working with him on this. Get a box or basket and fill it with cheap tissue paper (the wrapping paper kind). Let him know that this is his sleepy box and that he can shred the paper that is in it. Keep an eye on it and refill it as needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. But at that age I would also sit down and explain that it's not ok to shred these things he needs to stop. You might have already done this if so then the first poster has a good idea.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Just keep things out of reach that are important.My son has bunk beds ,hes scared of top bunk so all books go up there.Mine does the same but I never made the connection between being tired,or being bored??
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 12:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son was the same way. Something like what Kaycee said helped, only I used napkins. With my kid, the tissue paper made noises that were interesting. Napkins are very quiet. I used his shreds for package filler, and/or just tossed it in the recycle bin. Thankfully, he never did this with his books, just random papers and stuff, so the loss/damage was minimal.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• one of my children did the same thing at the same age.......It didn't really bother me but i made sure she didn't have a shreddable book in her bed when she went to sleep....she grew out of it and it didn't last long........
    dottief13

Answer by dottief13 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009