Can a doctor act as though he/she is checking your cervix and really be stripping your membranes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think they would do it on purpose and especially if they don't tell you. I had a friend who went in to have her cervix checked and the Dr caused her to go into labor but it wasn't intentional.

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yep. I know plenty of women who go in and get a vaginal exam at 37 plus weeks and when the doc was done they said "i stripped your membranes to help move things along", without ever getting consent to it!

Many doctors do not care at all.

That is why I will NEVER get a vaginal exam. They are invasive, unnecessary, and allow a doctor to strip your membranes without telling you. VE"s don't tell you anything about labor, delivery, etc. They are useless.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ok thanks celtic, that's what I thought, bastard OB cause I was bleeding/spotting a lot afterwards! ugh
    Anonymous

• it can happen :( I hope that's not the case. Some women do spot after a VE without membrane stripping! You should call and ask!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think you would KNOW if they were doing it...it hurts like a b*tch :(
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• it's a little late if they are doing it and the hands are already in there! also, many women have no clue what a vaginal exam feels like, so if their OB is rougher than normal, they may just think it's normal!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes, they can. Some don't tell you they do it. Sure, its not the right thing to do, but a lot do. If you felt a sharp pain, or discomfort more then usual they probably did. :( So sorry your dr wont let nature take its course
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 1:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My doctors did it all three pregnancies, and did not tell me until after. My third one it hurt the other two it did not.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009