What's your Opinion?

Studies show that a couple who live together before marriage have a higher rate of divorce, why do you think that is?

Breezy1988

Asked by Breezy1988 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Saying "I do" really does matter. Before that you both are free to take off whenever you want, bad times, someone else who appeals, illness... you can leave and not look back. When you are married you have promised to stay together, to work out problems (I know there are a few exceptions) your focus is firmly on each other and not just casually on each other. You are obligated to try to fix problems and to be loyal.

Answer by Bmat at 12:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• they aren't tied to eachother legally so its "easier" to just quit or leave.
    Anonymous

• I'd like to see that study..logic says that if you know what living with your signficant other before making that commitment to them, you'll know what it's like.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've heard that before too and I really have no idea why that is.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I personally think that living together before marriage is a great idea, you get to see the other persons true colors.
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I still don't understand what the difference is if you're living together married or not. You're still the same person when you say "I do" versus the night before. Why is that people feel it's a bigger deal once you get married??? For me it became a big deal when we had our DS. That's when things changed for us.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• yeah you see the other persons true colors you marry them anyway then divorce....does that make sense living with them you know them better? what happens is if you live together first before you marry then it's more of a test drive & not a real commitment. when you marry without having lived with them you are saying that you accept that person for who they are no matter what & you grow to love each other in-spite of them getting on your nerves. you make sure that the person you marry is the most possible fit for you cause there is no test driving it before you commit. you settle & try to make it work with people who are willing to live with you & you always figure if it doesn't work out then you can back away. you don't look for someone who is the rest of you life & must have. they are the ones who might be the ones but try them out first. real commitment just doesn't work that way. thats a man who doesn't think your the one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009