• In the Spotlight:

My 14month old is not interested in eating. Anyone else go threw this?

He turns his head or spits it out. We have tried all kinds of foods. The doctor recommended pediasure. Which he does drink 4 a day. They are 12.99 for 6 so this is getting to be expensive but more importantly I am concerned with him not eating. He can't drink pediasure the rest of his life.I have two other children who are now 5 and 8 who always loved to eat. Thanks for any suggestions. He is 14months old and 20lbs.

Darlene1177

Asked by Darlene1177 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is this pretty recent? how long has he been doing this? I get so mad that your ped recommended pediasure instead of figuring out WHY he's not eating - has anything changed? From what I've read, kids go through eating and not eating stages - my son is not a picky eater at all but he's very small and my ped seems to want to look into why he's only 22 lbs at 17 months old - but he's so active -anyway - i would call and see how long they expect you to use pediasure or when you are supposed to worry -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Will he eat little snacks? This is better than nothing. What about smoothies? You can get a lot into a smoothie even veggies.

How long has this been going on? If it's only been a month-two months, may just be an appetite faze. I agree that your pediatrician should be more pro-active and have some advice for you other than just pediasure. Maybe see another pediatrician for a second opinion.

My son went through a very picky stage where he would spit things out and refuse foods that he was eating before. He barely ate his lunch and wouldn't eat dinner. This lasted about a month or two. Then around 12 1/2 months he started eating more and different things. It stressed me out too. Although I have never had to worry about my sons weight. I think that most toddlers do this as some point in their eating career. I say if this had been going on for a while, see somebody else.
    Anonymous

• I have never come across a child who will starve him/herself when food is made available. That said, your son may just not have a big appetite--remember a person's empty stomach is only about the size of their fist.

My 7 year old was barely 21 pounds at age 1, and is now barely 44 pounds! He's a very light eater. Because of this I keep his snacks as healthy as possible, since they often become a MEAL! You might want to consider a liquid multivitamin or children's chewable multi-vitamin so that you're sure he's at least getting the right nutrients. We found (and still use) an organic liquid vitamin that we add to his juice.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my daughter went thought that it just that age. It go away in month or two. Try to give him milk if he not eating.
    My daughter will spit up food too and would not eat. I have made her mac and cheese with veggie and fried rice with veggies. or if small pasta. or pasta soup.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009