how to stop a 16 month old from bitting

Nov2107

Asked by Nov2107 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is something all kids go through and need to grow out of really. I think they are finding they have teeth but don't know it hurts. My girls are 4 years and 15 months. My 4 year old did this when she was that age I would lightly smack her mouth but nothing worked. He just stopped bitting on her own. My now 15 month old started bitting at i think 13.5 mionths old and she is still doing it. I don't know what to do i am in the same spot. She bit my mom the other day and she bites her sister I will lightly smack her mouth but she still does it. People tell me to bit her back when she does it not hard but enough for it to hurt but not leave a mark or bruise. I don't know if it works i never tried it for the fact that you are trying to get the child to not bite so why bite them? So I don't know either sorry I can't help
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• bite them back - I hear it works - my husband did it and he has not gotten bit since - My son does it to me every once in a while still but its been a while - I just can't bring myself to do it since when he does bite me, its at bedtime while we are rocking and he does it playfully - even though I do NOT encourage it, I can't see biting him and making him cry and then trying to put him to bed
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Do not react in a big way at all. If you yelp or gasp or something like that, it gives them a reaction, which usually is what they are trying to do. "Hmmm. What happens when I do this? Oh, cool! I'll do that again." If you remove them from the situation (or remove the item they are biting) and sternly tell them they are not allowed to bite, they will probably do it a few times in the future to see if it illicits a different response. When you give them the same response, they will get bored of it and move on.
    DO NOT bite the child back because it is just giving them permission to bite. You are the adult.
    AutmnDreams

Answer by AutmnDreams at 2:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i bite my first child back after months of trying everything i knw to do. the second child was a worse bitter and she would bit her sister, we busted her butt, time outs, biting back but nothing worked she finally met her match after she bite her sister (who was 5) on the stomach and brought blood, her sister rared back a punched her right in the mouth! she has NEVER bite again. But my son who is 21months old learnt his leason last week, NOW PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT DO THIS ON PURPOSE!! i didnt knw he was behind me and i stood up from the computer and he reached up and bite me in the BUTT!!YEs the BUTT! and before i knw it i SLAPED HIM UP SIDE THE HEAD!! i FElt so BAD!! HE WAS CRYING AND I WAS CRYING, BUT HE CAME TO ME AND TOLD ME HE WAS SORRY AND HE HASNT BITE ANYONE SINCE! But i still felt bad, i told him that i was sorry for hitting but that he was not allowed to bite. but a mouth pop want kill them either gets there attention
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ONCE AGAIN I DID NOT DO THAT ON PURPOSE IT WAS JUST A REACTION TO "GET AWAY", IT SCARED ME, I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT YOU SLAP YOUR KID UP SIDE THE HEAD!!!! DO NOT !! BUT BUSTING THEIR BUTT OR POP THEIR MOUTH AND YES EVEN BITING THEM BACK (JUST ENOUGH TO LET THEM KNW IT HURTS WITHOUT BRUISING OR MARKING THE CHILD) WORKS!!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009