How do I make refried beans?

I have a bag of dried pinto beans and want to make refried beans. Does anyone have a good easy recipe that I could use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=refried+beans

here is a link to a whole bunch of recipes. I guess it would depend on your tastes and knowlage of cooking which ones to follow
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• All you do is clean out the dirt/rocks/empty beans out of the portion of the bag you want to use. Wash them. Meanwhile have a big pot filled halfway boiling on the stove. Put in washed beans, and if you want add bacon pieces for flavor. Keep covered on med/low heat. check and stir every 1 1/2. Add water if they seem to to drying out. You will know when they are ready when you bite one bean in half and its nice and soft. Take off stove and spoon out 1/4th of the beans. Put them in a small pan on med/low. Add butter and or salt to taste. smash them up till they are smooth. Take off heat. Enjoy!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you find the beans are not softening add a pinch of baking soda to the water. Soaking overnight shortens the cook time and also helps prevent some of the "gas" from forming. Neither of these recipes is a Mexican way with manteca (Lard)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009