how can i put my kids to bed early ??

i never put my kids to bed at specific time so now that i want them to go to bed before 9pm is so hard for me .my daughter goes to school and sometimes they go until midnight what can i do? pls help...

BRENDAFLORES

Asked by BRENDAFLORES at 12:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The first thing you do is get organized. Make a schedule. Tell the kids. We aren't doing this anymore. From now on bedtime is XYZ hour and wake time is XYZ hour. Stick to your guns. It will get harder before it gets better. Just refuse to give in or give up. They woll soon learn you aren't kidding.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• get them up earlier.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Don't let them take naps if they do now. Make them go lay in bed and they will eventually get on track to go to bed early. I agree do not give in!
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeap I agree. My kids all go to bed EVERY NIGHT at 8 pm, but no later than 8.30p It was never really a hard thing to start. Started very young when my oldest was sleeping through the night. 8ish was her last feeding, and its continued on since and with my other two kids. Kids seem to grasp the idea that ok mommy wants me to go to bed at this time, or when she says its bedtime. It will probably be nerve racking, cause your kids will probably scream and shout, and get out of bed. But dont listen the yelling, and if they get out of their room, take them right back without talking to them. eventually they will tire out and fall asleep. not sure how long many nights it will take, but soon they will go to bed without question.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm embarrassed to admit this, but my kids(4 yr old daughter, five yr old twin boys) would be up til midnight or later. It was exhausting. We were having problems(their dad and i) and there was alot of stress around here as we have to move, so right before the holidays they would stay up til all hours of the night. The twins wouldn't sleep in their room so they would sleep with daddy. I finally said enough is enough and figured out a way to an earlier bedtime. We played games. WE played red light green light, duck duck goose, and a tag game where I would hold one of them and close their eyes and one of the others would tap their head and they had to guess who it was. now they know when we play games it's time for bed after. I got it down to 10pm. I'm hopng after we move I'll get it to 8pm and in their own beds. routine is the key. Stay firm, it'll work.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think you just need to get into a routine and stick with it. It will be hard at first, especially for them to fall asleep earlier, but they will eventually get used to it.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What i do is let them play outside and wear thierselves out then dinner,bath,relax for a bit then its off to bed! it works great!
    saraward08

Answer by saraward08 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I used to have the same problem with my oldest, because when it was just her we took her everywhere with us, midnight bowling, movies, dinner you name she was there when she began school my son was already 1 years old, and I was prego with #3 so I had already slowed my pace a little bit, but nonetheless we still did midnight bowling! lol. I re-worked my schedule and started bedtime at 8:30.... that was like pulling teeth! so I asked my pediatrician what I could do to help her wind down after 3 exhuasting months of tips and tricks he suggested "melatonin" its a small disovlable pill only in the GNC brand and its is all natural. Specifically melatonin is what your brain produces when you sleep its your biological clock that says when your tired. I began giving it to my oldest 30 before bed and by 8:45 she was ready and not weary! I also give this to my son and my youngest occasionally now, but form good habits not only medicate!
    CandiM0M

Answer by CandiM0M at 8:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Pick a time and a bedtime activity. Announce the new bedtime to the kids, and then remind them at 1 hr till bedtime, 30 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 minute. Then do the bedtime routine in the exact same order every night. After the 1 minute warning, turn off Tv/games/computers, whatever and then lead them directly to the bathroom for teeth brushing/potty time. Then lead them directly to bed, do a story or song and then kisses, lights out. If its new to them they will probably protest at first, and keep getting up, asking for water, saying they can't sleep etc. The rule is: console/answer them the 1st time they ask, then no more discussion. Every time they get up after that, physically lead them back to bed and don't say a WORD (that will just encourage them). They will catch on quickly and you will be SO glad you did it (alone time for you!!) Good luck!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2009