im a new airforce wife. he hasnt left yet for BT

im only 18 and he will be 19 soon he will leave soon for BT and then TTschool. I want to have kids soon maybe a year and half or so after he is set for his first station and I will move with. Is this a good idea?

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you already married? Generally you can go with him after basic training, and whatever tech school he needs to go to. (I am an army wife, air force may be different).

With the military, there is no real way to plan a family haha. Deployments, training, etc, can always come up and he may or may not make it to the birth, no matter how careful you plan it!

I say getting settled in the first station, is a good idea, so you both can get used to marriage and military life.. if that's what you want!

I got pregnant right after DH got out of basic and AIT. So we go to his first duty station, and I am pregnant, and am far away from family! I love being pregnant but it would be easier had I made friends, etc, first... and got settled before being pregnant!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've been an Air Force wife for 17 years. Welcome to the club. You guys should put off having the baby until he's finished with basic and tech school. Just cause well he'll be gone and at first there is a lot of stress. I'd say wait until your settled at your first base and am use to the military lifestyle. Yes it is hard for some to adjust. As for if you can go with him to tech school not sure. I met my husband after he was finished with both.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think the only way the military pays for a family to move with during tech school is if they will be gone 6 months or longer. :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well Welcome to the Military. It is not always an easy life that we military wives live. My husband is in the Army. Would prob be a good idea to wait until he's done with school before trying to start a family. The first few months will be a challange for both of you. There is going to be a lot of nights when Hubby is not home, and you really want him to experience the pregnancy with you. Also moving while pregnant is not fun. Both times I was pregnant we had to move. Any school he goes to after BT you can go with him if he's going to be there for more then 6 months. In many cases he will know where he will be going after school and you can go there early and try to find a house, get a job or start class yourself. Being that he is young the officers might want you two to live on post, so if you go early don't sign any long term lease agreement. Once DH inprocesses then he'll go to housing, you could move then too.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would wait until you decide to have babies. You are about to start a big adventure. My husband joined less then a year ago and my life has been crazy ever since. We got really lucky and got Okinawa, Japan as his first duty station. I can't even imagine getting pregnant right now. I would wait to find out where he is going to be stationed and what not first. I can answer lots of questions about what you are about to go through if want me to help you. I just know that I had tons of questions when my husband left for BMT and tech school. I would love to answer any of your questions. GOOD LUCK.........
    dancnstar04

Answer by dancnstar04 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2009