Son (18 months) and Bonus son (13) share a room - need some imput . . .

My son is 18 months and my step (bonus) son is 13. They have shared a room since the baby was born in 2007. Bonus son is only here on the weekends. I would like to make the room where they can both play in there happily (bonus son is a lego freak) and with plenty of room. Right now the room has a crib, a double bed, a desk, and 2 plastic drawers for clothes. There is also a huge wall shelf over bonus son's bed. The baby's toys are in the living room. I would like to be able to put the baby's toys in his (and brother's) room without much fuss.

Bonus son has expressed the fact that he wants to keep his "big comfy bed" but if we have a smaller bed, or even a futon or hide-a-bed, it will open up so much room for them both to play (bonus son has a lego table that we've never brought over b/c there's just no room).

So, are there any suggestions?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ok stand in the doorway of the room, try to imagine a line dividing it in half ....

Now picture a futton (full size) maybe with his lego table as his coffee table (of sorts) Maybe add some color to that side of the room ( if you can) a favorite color of his.
    Here are a few links that you might be interested in...
    http://family.go.com/entertainment/article-rdd-238713-decorating-a-child-s-room-t/
    http://interiordec.about.com/cs/childrensrooms/a/adopt.htm

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• have you thought about doing a loft bed for the older child that way he could still have the full sized bed but the floor would be open to so so much more.

my oldest has a loft from IKEA in her room and it is wonderful for her room which isnt very big so a bed on the floor takes up so much room.

if you go this route you will either have to figure out a way to block off or remove the ladder when ever your bonus son isnt there so the toddler cant play on the loft bed

this option will also give you room to do a twin bed in there your your son when the time comes
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009