18 month old and 13 year old share a room - need suggestions

My son is 18 months and my step (bonus) son is 13. They have shared a room since the baby was born in 2007. Bonus son is only here on the weekends. I would like to make the room where they can both play in there happily (bonus son is a lego freak) and with plenty of room. Right now the room has a crib, a double bed, a desk, and 2 plastic drawers for clothes. There is also a huge wall shelf over bonus son's bed. The baby's toys are in the living room. I would like to be able to put the baby's toys in his (and brother's) room without much fuss.

Bonus son has expressed the fact that he wants to keep his "big comfy bed" but if we have a smaller bed, or even a futon or hide-a-bed, it will open up so much room for them both to play (bonus son has a lego table that we've never brought over b/c there's just no room).

So, are there any suggestions

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Do you have a way to make a bedroom in the basement for bonus son, so that he has his own space and can keep the "comfy" bed? That may be an option. I really don't know what else to suggest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wish we could. Unfortunately we have a three bedroom home, no basement. Our two girls (5 and 12) share a room as well - that's another story.

I would have the 12 and 13 year old share a room, but since they are brother and sister, that is not legal in the state of TX.

We really need a bigger house, but that's not happening anytime in the foreseeable future . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• do you have a room you can make the older boy's his? I mean an 18 month old should have any access to legos. And the older boy needs privacy.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Answered at 2:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: pagirl71
    do you have a room you can make the older boy's his? I mean an 18 month old should have any access to legos. And the older boy needs privacy.

Nope, that the biggest problem. The thing is, he's (the 13 year old) only here on the weekends. We try to make it as pleasant as possible, but with the little one getting bigger, it's getting harder and harder to do . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2009