Anyone scared to raise their children in such a HATE-filled world?

I know that I am terrified.

I am raising my child to know that ALL are created in God's image. God loves EVERYONE! I dont want my child raised anywhere near those who profess to love God but hatred and anger spews from their mouths.

God is a God of LOVE. We should strive to LOVE all, even those we disagree with. We should be Christ-like in our words and our deeds. Without hatred.

We are all God's children no matter our race or faith or sexual orientation or age. THAT is what we should be teaching our children. Not hatred because someone is different from us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Answered at 12:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    I think its hateful to teach children its ok to sin. Also to tell them people can be born that a way.
    Also I think its hateful to teach God thinks its ok to sin and accepts it. That is the worst parenting in my eyes.

I think it's hateful to teach our children to be close-minded and in-tolerant. While I don't teach them that it's OKAY to sin, they know that sinning is a way of life. We sin even when we don't know it. Being judgmental on others because their religion or parenting style is sinful, for example. Jesus said "He without sin cast the first stone" (John 8:7).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think its hateful to teach children its ok to sin. Also to tell them people can be born that a way.
    Anonymous

• I don't teach my kids to hate sinners. Just that its not right to sin b/c it hurts God when we sin against him.
    Anonymous

• I hate that some people think they know what sin really is but then come out and write hatred about a LOVING family.
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid my children will decide to be christians and will grow up thinking they will go to hell, must bow to god, have certain things they have to do or can't do, or that they should hate certain people simply for being who they are. Most hate I see stems from religious beliefs.
    Anonymous

• me too. I am afraid of my children being christian and closing their hearts and minds just to be able to belong in american society. from what I see of your christians I don't want my children to be around all the hate.
    Anonymous

• Children, if allowed to share their time with you, will pick up your confidence about the goodness of the world. There's no need for them to witness cruelty or depravity. Those issues can be confronted when they are older(12or so) and have their sense of sanity clearly in place. If your kids' school, TV or parts of your community will be bombarding them with inappropriate content for their age, then simply don't expose them to it.
    You have the power to protect and nurture them. Use it and don't be "fearful" about the world.

Children depend on their adults to explain reality. If you give them a rational view of the world, then impressions from crazy people can be just water off a duck's back when they are older.

Our 3 (now a married lawyer, a Marine officer w/2 babies, & in college) are commented upon for their confidence & compassion. Our strong values gave them sure-footedness, & then they re-formed their own values.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am raising my children as Christians, but also to be open minded. I am raising them to accept Jesus as their savior, and to live life as God truly wants us to, not judging others because we are taught not to judge others but to love everyone instead. I teach them to love the person but not the sin. They know that not everyone lives the same as we do or believes the same as we do, and that that does not make them wrong or any better or worse than us. They know there is bad in this world, and they konw they are not to imitate the behavior. I do find it a little scary in the world right now, but I think we are raising our children the best way we possibly can.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm not afraid confused people will steer my children wrong b/c I'm a good parent by teaching them right from wrong.
    I'm not teaching them there is no wrong.
    Anonymous

• Christian parents don't teach their children to be afraid thet'll go to hell.
    You just made yourself look ignorant.
    Anonymous