How do I get my sons to help with chores?

A few years back my sons were both really good with helping around the house. I dont expect them to clean everything but at least do their share! Well a family member told them that they should be kids and Mom should do all the house keeping. Since then I have been struggling to get them to do even the simplest chore that a 2 yr old could do. I have taken away tv, computer time, going with and having friends over. Anything they find enjoyment has been taken away. They will just go in their room or sit on the couch and fall asleep without helping. Any ideas how to get them to help?? Oh and my oldest is 14 and the second son will be 13 in July.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• coala has a great idea. Don't do ANY of their laundry. "Bummer. I hate wearing dirty clothes. Good thing I wash my own!"

Another idea is this:

When they ask for a ride anywhere tell them "I'm sorry, but I don't have time to give you a ride. I have a lot of housework to catch up on".

This one's kinda gross, but it works!!:
    Serve them their food on their dirty dishes from the night before, saying "Bummer. I hate eating off dirty plates. That's why I washed mine/put it in the dishwasher last night when I was done eating".

And shame on whoever it was who told them such a horrible, sexist lie! I would have chewed them out and then had them talk to the kids and tell them they weren't serious.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would start with them having to do their own laundry. Once you stop and they have to start or they have NO clean clothes to wear then maybe they will start understanding that they have to step up to the plate at some point. By the time I was 8 I was doing laundry, dusting and doing dishes as well as mowing the lawn. I don't see why a couple of boys can't help out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No chores, no money, no freedom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• jennijune_21 ty for your reply. I just wanted to mention that it was said to all my children. I do have a couple of girls too. I know I didnt state it so dont worry. I just seem to be having more problems with the boys as they were older when they were told that. LOL I may have to do that!!! Dirty dishes would get through to them.. even tho it is gross!!!! LOL
    Anonymous

• Answered at 1:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    jennijune_21 ty for your reply. I just wanted to mention that it was said to all my children. I do have a couple of girls too. I know I didnt state it so dont worry. I just seem to be having more problems with the boys as they were older when they were told that. LOL I may have to do that!!! Dirty dishes would get through to them.. even tho it is gross!!!! LOL

LOL - worked on mine!!
    Good luck!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009