Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where do you go when you call DHR to report child neglect and they do NOTHING

After so much thought I called DHR last week to report my SIL with child neglect. Her son is not my brothers but I still love him and his mother. She has an extreme addiction to crystal meth and she also takes horse traqulizers...I just couldn't sit back and watch her life waste away infront of everyones the mean time I sure enough couldn't watch her 3 year old be forced to live in this situation. She loves her son but in her state of mind she can't take care of him the way he needs. I called DHR last week and they still have done nothing. They said that they will look her file over and see if they need futher investagion...this is ludicris to me. What do I do? Should I just leave it alone or should I seek futher action. (btw I did all this anonymously) so I don't want to give my name to the police or anything.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • I wish I knew I had a friend thats dad molested her and her little sister, CPS would come every month but never took them away she was 14 her sister was younger

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I would call again if it were me. Seriously! Call everyday if you have to and use different voices. Pretend to be a neighbor, a friend, whatever. Keep this child safe and help her out too. Let them know this child is in extreme danger. Give them the address and tell them to make a surprise visit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I did...that is the thing they are seriously acting like it isnt that big of a deal! When just yesterday she was as high as it gets driving her son around!!! I could only imagine what could have happened....I know if I personally step in all hell will break loose in my family, but I'm afraid it's going to get to that...better they hate me than getting a call that they both were killed in a car accident

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Give them time to investigate, there are a lot of cases and they may be back logged. Even if you give your name, they cannot tell who reported them, Call the police if you see her do the drugs, if you know where she keeps them, tell them where they are in the home. Keep calling CPS, but realize they won't give you updates or any info.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Yes they can tell her who called. I know someone who was called on and wasn't found guilty of abuse and she got to know the name of who called on her. She was told at court. So always be anonymous unless you are offering to take the child. Try calling the police.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Many DHS offices don't investage an Anonymous callers claims. To many ex's trying to beat the sytem and keep paretns away from their children.
    Talk to your SIL, tell her you are worried for her. Offer to help her in anyway that she can. Go to family court and file a petion for Emergency Custody. Explain what is going on in your petition. Be prepared for a fight. Things will get ugly before they get better. But you do need to do something. The whole family should get involved. She needs to know she has everyones support. Find a rehab place for he to go to. Get the toddler into therapy. Call the local police and tell them where her stash is or when and where she is buying.
    The best course of action would be family court, it would be the fastest if there are other family members who are willing to step up for your nephew. A judge has to hear an order for Emergency Custody within 24 hours.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 1:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Try 1800 4 A CHILD

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • If you know the child is truly in danger and she truly is a drug addict: Offer to help her out while she gets help. Talk to her with at least one other family member as well. If she refuses. Call and leave your name at CPS. Tell them you talked to her and what she said. Tell them how you truly are scared for this child's welfare. Do not worry about what everyone else thinks. If they can't stand by you for caring about the child, then they aren't worth it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • If you find out she's high and she gets into the car, call 911 and report it to them! Tell them she is under the influenece driving. Do not ever let her take him in the car someplace while she's high. It is absolutely OK to call 911 in that situation because I see it as an emergency!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • call the police. Tell them that you cannot reveal your name. DO NOT TELL them you called DHS. I have found that the police don't take immediate action if you do because the want the other dept to handle it. GL

    Answer by Babylove76 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.