Should I give her the recipe?

I have and make a recipe that my Husbands Grandma was famous for. His WHOLE family, except for his dad and step mom, have nothing to do with us, cuz we're high & mighty. Really, they all use drugs and have issues that make them feel like that. Regardless, they have put Step Mom up to getting Grandma's recipe from me so they can all enjoy it! I don't hate my husbands step mom, but she is a bit wacky herself, and I've caught her in many lies to me. So, I just don't want to give them MY recipe! What would you do?? I want to say "I just can't find it".

DravensMama

Asked by DravensMama at 1:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Be gracious and a nice person and give it to her. The fact that you are even asking means that you don't feel right about the idea of being mean about this. What harm can it do.- it can only be a good thing. If nothing else, your husband's grandma's recipe will be enjoyed by more people, which is surely what she would have wanted. What's the point in not sharing.

Answer by Bmat at 1:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• who cares. Why put so much emphasis of your life on something so stupid. If you don't want to give it to her, then DONT. And tell her why, don't make up some excuse to hide behind because you are scared she "Might not like you" which is true if you need an excuse to make up anyways. Or get over it and give her the recipe and quit wasting precious time in your life on stupid stuff. There are more important things in life my dear. seroiusly.
    Anonymous

• It's a RECIPE! Just give it to them, be the bigger person.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• in your life** not mine. sorry lol
    Anonymous

• Don't stoop to their level. It's their family...you married into it. Just give it to them.
    Anonymous

• I would just give it to them.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'd give it to them. What's really the big deal? It will never taste as good as it does when you make it, anyway. ;-)

Maybe leave out the "secret ingredient" - a spice or herb for example. That way they have the basic recipe, but your's is still YOURS.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If it's his Grandma's recipe... then I'd have to ask.. is that from his Mom's Mom or his Dad's Mom? if it's Mom's Mom, then they're not entitled, and if you want to keep it in the family I'd understand. If you really don't want to give it...then don't... I don't care what anyone says on here, I get the whole thing with you having one dish that no one else in the family knows how to make and it's the one thing that you're known for... your special thing. I have a couple of things that everyone knows during the holidays I'm going to make them, it's just part of how it is. Only thing is, I don't have a recipe for them... It's a whatever feels right kind of recipe, so it never tastes the same although it's close. If the FIL cared so much about that dish... he should've asked Grandma for the recipe.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You're furthering a family rift over a recipe. A recipe that's not even originally yours.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Tell her NO. It's a family heirloom and you're going to choose who to pass it on too. If she wants it so bad she can search and try all sorts of recipes from a ton of cookbooks. Not having your exact copy isn't that big of a deal.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009