What would you do if your child's teacher was lying about grades to get her way?

My son has severe learning disablities and the teacher is NOT following his IEP at all. She calls him lazy, says he is not trying and gets him so overwhelmed that he shuts down. She does not believe what doctors etc. have said about his LD and that he just needs to try harder.

She has forged his grades to avoid pulling him out like his IEP requires. Now he has had testing done that proves he is not earning the grades she is giving him. How far would you go? Would you try to get the teacher put under review? I am scared because she apparently is working on her special needs degree and no child should have to suffer at her hands.

Any advice. Any one ever go head to head with the school system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to do anything possible to have her investigated. Write letters to document everything...write them to the principal and superintendant.
    Anonymous

• Go to the principal and superintendant. Then go to the state board of education and to the fed board of education. An IEP is a FEDERALLY mandated part of your childs education and the teacher can get in trouble for not following it or forging it. Call the principal NOW, do NOT wait.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

i agree
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 1:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• you need to call the school ASAP and demand a sit down with his teacher, his IEP rep and possible the principle and whom ever is listed on his IEP. It's a bindind document and it has to be followed. Do not let the school get away with ruining your child's education.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would go as far as I needed to make sure that a) my kid is being treated as he/she should be, and b) to show the teacher that she cannot get away with cutting corners and not doing right by the children she teaches.

Document and record every interaction between you and the teacher. Go to the principal, the school board...as far as you can go.
    And just to be a b**** and rub it in her face, I would tell her that I am doing it (after I've already started the process). That's just me, though.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with all the above. And if my child were in the same situation, I would do whatever I had to do to make sure that he was recieving the education that he was supposed to be recieving. I would go as far within the school system that I had to. That teacher is simply lazy and terrible. It is really too bad that she is teaching. I'm very sorry mama!! Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I would make an apointment with the superintend of the school distrtict and explain everything in full detail. Along with the doctors studies that show he has a LD. I would also demand my son be moved into a different class. IEP are mandated for reasons, and teachers that don't follow the mandadtes should not be teaching. If after your talk with the superintened of school nothing has changed, call a press conference. Call local newpapers, radio, tvs and invite them to meet you becuase you have some important information to tell them about the city school districts. A group of parents held one in NY and got the state to listen. The teacher and the principals were fired for forging kids grades.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• far i would go far..document everything...go to the superintendent of schools.thats so against the law...my daughter is in special needs but is in a reg.class. but is taken out a couple times a day.talk to the special needs teachers.he must have been tested.i got my daughters report card home and i dont agree with it and you best believe that i am going to write a letter.you have to be your childs advocate.....
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• OP here: He was originally pulled out last year in fact it was a verbal agreement I drug my child and they go the extra mile to make sure he can succeed in class. I seen an improvement with the meds so we kept everything the same. On his IEP it says pull from classroom as needed. Mainly they were trying to say pull him out MORE if he gets overwhelmed. Instead they translate that to not pulling him out. He just had all his testing redone to qualify for services & apparently his scores are so low that there are no way his grades are accurate. I just don't know how angry I will get at the meeting. Right now if she was in front of me I would b**** slap her for doing this to him. He struggles enough & has to deal with more stuff then most kids have to. I do thank God everyday that the delays & medical condistions are not worse but he is going to end up wanting to quit school if he gets more teaches like her.
    Anonymous

• My mom is a principal and I know she has had some semi-similar problems. Go to the principal and tell him/her what is going on. Most likely there will be a meeting with you, the principal, the teacher and any other relevant people. It's harder to fire teachers than you'd think(at least where I live), because after they work for a few years they get what's called "professional status", meaning you have to go through a HUGE, loooong ordeal to fire them. But hopefully she can be fired, because that's what it sounds like she deserves. Good luck to you.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009