SHould I make a myspace?

Yeah I know ridiculous question, but all my friends and family are bugging me to make a myspace/facebook just for fun & keep in touch. The thing is my ex hates the fact of me having one, last few times iv had one, hes hacked into it and either changes it or deletes it.Hes very computer savvy. Not to mention, he either calls and harasses me about it or emails me & is very mean.. I just don't want any more emotional abuse nor problems from him.But than again I dont want him to feel he still has power over me. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Oh but you ARE allowing him to have power over you. Can you get some sort of restraining order so that he can't even contact you through the internet?? Thats what i would do asap!
    You should be able to have better and closer relationships with other family and friends without even a thought of HIM! That is very controlling.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Can you open one w/out him knowing? Does he regularly check or does someone end up telling him? Make sure your password is a very strong password too.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• R u 25 years or under.....Do you party, do you like drama? I would say no....my space people need to grow up.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with that anon....I'm 26 and I have ONLY family and friends on my list. If you just invite any and everyone and except anyones request then yeah its stupid. But its a great way to keep in touch with family you don't talk to or see often. Its really how i keep everyone updated on my and my families life. Lol, they have all my dd's pics before I can even print them out!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Im 34 and have a myspace lol mainly because I live over 8 miles away from my very big family. Plus it helps me keep in touch with my old army friends. The bigger issue is your dh hacking into your stuff. You say you dont want any more emotional abuse ect I dont think not having a myspace will solve all those issues it will be something else with this guy. You asked what I would do I would get one, if he didnt like it oh well and if he assulted me or continued to harras me I would be gone.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes there has been a restraining order and all that stuff. I have tried different passwords and all that. I guess I just needed to hear someone other than friends/families advice.
    Thank you ladies for your input! Its been helpful

As for the other one that answered
    Yes I am 25 and under, and no Im not one of thos who like drama and party. I just would like to have one again for contacting friends&family.
    Anonymous

• don't worry I reported her RUDE comment. I have a myspace to stay in contact with ppl too and I am under 25 but don't party or have drama to deal with.
    Anonymous

• What I did was to use a ficticious last name... and I don't use my own picture for a profile pic so people I don't want to find me, won't. And I'd make it a private profile too. And change the password daily if you have to, and use words with a lot of combinations like caps and numbers and underscores etc...
    And only make one if you want one... don't feel pressured to do anything you're not comfortable with, but don't NOT do it just because of him, that's giving him too much power.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am 32 and have both a myspace and a facebook to keep in touch with friends, family, and old classmates. It has nothing to do with partying and/or drama as I don't adhere t either of those.

mamachamp is right. Right now, you ARE allowing him to control you, and you don't realize it. I don't know about any kind of restraining order as per computers, and it would be very hard to prove as well. Just keep your profile to private and use an assumed name if you feel you must. That way, those who count will know who you are.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• And for the record... I have one, and I am well over the consenting age to choose who the heck I want on my friends list and I can assure you, I'm fully grown up. It's for communication, for sharing pictures, and video's and even music with friends, family... or even strangers if you want to. It's for meeting new friends if you want to. It's for WHATEVER you want it to be for.... ANON
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009