my 8 yr. old son is so sensitive, if you look at him funny he cries.

he is just like that for awhile then he gets over it. but sometimes it carries on for months, what can i do to help him not be so touchy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My youngest daughter was like that. She is 24 now..And has grown out of it ..But she is still a litte sensitive..Not as bad as she was when she was young.

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My 8 year old son is VERY sensitive. It has really bothered my husband and I over the years and we keep hoping he will out grow it. He is a little better than he was. I always looked to advice from everyone, doctors, friends with boys, etc. Then one day my brother said to me - If he wasn't emotional, than I would be worried. He is suppose to be like this, it shows he will be a sensitive man. That made me feel better. Now, when he cries for ridiculous reasons, I just let him know that when he pulls himself together, we can talk. It has helped.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Our 13 year old is exactly the same way - and he also is obsessed with violence. We and his mom have gotten him into therapy and are hoping this helps.

You might talk to your doctor - there might be something really awful going on or it might be the early stages of bi polar disorder.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My 8 yr old is like that too... we have done and tried everything including having the school counselor talk to him... she says he is a well rounded young man and at times gets emotional... ugh...
    Now he is my gs I have custody of him and he hasn't seen his bio - parents in yrs so we do know there is a little seperation aniexity going on, but the mood swings...
    Usually if he has a "melt down" as we call them, we find out over what and if it's something silly then it's buck up buddy... if he is away from home, he just talks to me on the phone and is find for the rest of his stay away from home...
    I am hoping as he grows up he will get over this...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009