HOW DO YOU STOP A CHILD FROM CUTTING UP SO BADLY WHEN SHE'S IN TIMEOUT?

LATELY MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN GETTING EXTREMELY OUT OF HAND, SHE AT THE AGE THAT SHE DOESN'T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOU AT ALL, HER FAVORITE WORD IS "NO", AND WHEN YOU WHIP HER BUTT SHE TRIES TO WHIP YOU BACK. SO I WANTED TO TRY TO PUT HER IN TIME OUT AGAIN BUT I KNOW THE LAST TIME I TRIED SHE SCREAMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE TIME SHE WAS IN TIMEOUT. SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT SHE'S PUNISHED AND SHE TRIES TO SQUIRM HER WAY OUT AND IT JUST MAKES HER SCREAM MORE WHEN I PUT HER BACK. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAD A METHOD THEY USE THAT WORKS BETTER THAN HEARING YOUR CHILD SCREAM TILL SHE'S TO THE POINT OF MAKING HERSELF SICK. SHE'S ONLY 2 SO I KNOW SHE WON'T UNDERSTAND TOO MUCH BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY.

JKLIEBERT2004

Asked by JKLIEBERT2004 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is just willfull! (That can be good in the future, but a pain right now).
    This is what I did with my daughter, who is 17 now
    No matter how much she screams, get earplugs if you have to, but keep putting her back. DO NOT GET ANGRY, if you feel you are, leave it for the moment. But the key is to keep her there (1 minute for each year), even if you have to do it 100 times. I promise she will get it but some kids take a little more work than others.
    You are smart to do this now, it is much harder to control a teens' behavior than your 2 year old.
    vikki_jean

Answer by vikki_jean at 2:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I saw that on nanny 911 also!!! the dad put his son in a timeout chair 120 times or somewhere aroudn there -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've always heard that the "time out" time doesn't start until the tantrum is done. If I put my daughtger in time out and she starts screaming and crying, I let her throw her fit and THEN I start the clock.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've read once that the parent explained to the child that the time out spot was soundproof and the child couldn't be heard. Takes all the fun out of yelling if no one hears! She's pretty young though...don't know if that would compute. My son is 2 and I've read some stuff that says they don't really understand "time out" until about 2.5yo or older. I'd go with completely ignoring and being persistent. YOU CANNOT GIVE IN! You MUST keep putting her back. Eventually she will learn what she has to do. Rough going for a while but you'll get there. Good luck!
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 1:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yah, what they said. It's just a battle of wills at this point so stick to it. She is learning right now how she is going to work you over as she gets older so show her who is boss right now. Be gentle yet firm. Eventually you'll be able to ignore it ans she'll stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ok, you might think this is crazy but i thought of trying it but something i tried before worked so i didnt have to do it. my nephew would wig out like that too and he would not stay put so my sister in law (wince!) brought his car seat in his bedroom and strapped him in and would not let him up until he stopped crying and served his time... is that crazy? someone told me it was abuse...i thought it sounded good...
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I really recommend picking up a copy of the book "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp. He explains how getting to the heart of the issue and attitudes that underlie the behavior is just as important that addressing the behavior itself. He has some excellent, excellent suggestions regarding discipline.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 5:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND CONCERN. I WILL GO AHEAD AND TRY EVERY TECHNIQUE POSSIBLE TILL SHE GETS IT. SHE'S STILL TO YOUNG TO DO SOME THINGS SO I'LL JUST HAVE TO KEEP AT IT AND IGNORE HER TO A CERTAIN EXTENT WHEN SHE'S GETTING A TANTRUM. SOON SHE WILL LEARN. I HAVE A NEPHEW WHO IS TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL, HE IS 8 YRS OLD AND LET ME TELL YOU HE IS THE BOSS OF HIS MOM AND DAD AND I DON'T WANT MY DAUGHTER DOING THE SAME SO I WANT TO START NOW. SHOW HER WHOSE THE BOSS OF HER EARLY. THANKS EVERYONE.
    JKLIEBERT2004

Answer by JKLIEBERT2004 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009