What is your definition of being "broke"?

I always say if my bills are paid without a dime to my name, Im doing ok. If I haven't caught up with my bills and I still don't have 2 nickels to rub together than we got a problem.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 1:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• When I have to juggle bills month to month and buy ramen noodles and macaroni for dinners, that's broke! Luckily I'm not there anymore, at least not right now!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• When I've paid all the bills, and bought groceries, if I don't have a cushion left over I consider that broke.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If we don't have a 'cushion' in the bank, then I consider us broke!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Broke for us means no extra spending money, no dates nights. I pay all bills, the grocery and gas money has been set aside and 5% of pay has gone into savings. So just about broke all the time LOL We are a military family, get paid once a month, pay bills on the 2nd, broke by the third LOL . Some months I do really well sticking to a grocery budget so then we have extra money to take the kids to see a movie or out to dinner. We use the savings money for bdays, xmas and clothing.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Bills are payed, bought groceries, put gas in the cars. After that I concider being broke is when we do not have any spending money left.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Twenty bucks or less. And the day before payday lol, and usually the day after (paying bills)
    Anonymous

• When we eat broke food: Hamburger Helper without the hamburger so it's just Helper!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Broke is not having a emergency fund cushion of $2000 or more. I'm just about always broke :(
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm broke when I have paid all of my bills and bought groceries, but I don't have any money for gas.
    MissRegina

Answer by MissRegina at 3:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• broke is no savings and down to pennies in budget.
    Anonymous