Why whole milk?

What is the reason that we need to give our toddlers whole milk and not a reduced fat milk? Will the reduced fat milk upset their tummies? or do they simply need the fat content of whole milk?

Also, what if my daughter won't drink milk? The only time she would drink it is if it was in a bottle and she doesn't have bottles any more (she is 16 months old). When I give it to her in her sippy cup she only drinks a few sips and then doesn't want anything to do with it anymore. I have tried adding chocolate and she liked that even less -.- What should I do? Just try and give her lots of cheese and yogurt??

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is because toddlers need the extra fat for proper development. That being said, recent studies have shows that toddlers can receive that fat from other sources and that 2% or less milk (or no milk) is fine given a balanced diet.
    Anonymous

• the fat in whole promotes brain development
    Anonymous

• The reason for whole milk is the fat content - their bodies and their brains still need it. However, keep in mind that whole milk is 3% so if you're giving 2% instead, it really isn't much of a difference. My doctor said that since my daughter is in the above average range for weight and we drink 2% that there is no reason to buy whole milk especially for her. If your daughter won't drink it except in a bottle, that is your call. I know a lot of mom's who don't wean from the bottle until after 18 mo. for that very reason. You can give her extra cheese and yogurt and cook with lots of milk to help make up for it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• babies need the fat that whole milk has
    joy6983

Answer by joy6983 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• whole mikl has healthy fats that they need. at aroungd age 2 you can go to reduced fat but not skim
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Whole milk also has Vitamin D... so the extra fat + Vit. D they need
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• They can get the fat from other sources as they can the vitamins and minerals.

The doctor had me put the boys right on 2% because they were eating balanced diets and were each above the 95th percentile for weight and height. He said they didn't need all the extra fat in whole milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ALL milk has vitamin D. And yes, it's for the fat content which DOES help w. brain development, but fat from milk is not as efficient for brain growth as some other fats that have DHA & AHA (omega fatty acids). If your child gets adequote fat in his/her diet, it's really OK to give them skim milk. Actually, the lack of fat in skim milk makes it easier for the body to absorb the calcium, that's why they strongly suggest skim milk to pregnant woman. You can give them fat supplements. They have omega fatty acid supplements for kids (unless they eat lots of fish), those will REALLY above everything else help with brain development. As far as making her drink milk, just keep giving it too her. She is probably just adjusting to the change from bottle to cup. Also, at dinner tell her if she wants desert she has to drink ALL her milk. I think she will be fine, just keep it around. She'll get used to it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Try putting 1 oz. and filling the rest of the cup with water. Do this for a few days to a week, then increase to 2 oz. and so on. This is working for me. My son didn't like cows milk, choc. milk, goats milk, or soymilk. He loves water though. I cook everything with milk for him and give him yogurt a couple times a day. I make him home cooked oatmeal with raisins. I use milk to cook it and mik to cool it down so I can get about 8 oz. in there. All you can do it try. Fish and avocados had good sources of good fats. I would use canned salmon over tuna if you go that route because canned tuna has really high counts of mercury, to high for babies and children.
    Anonymous

• Okay, you've heard it all, Vit D, good fats. . . If she isn't drinking milk from a sippy and you want to include more dairy into the diet I'd suggest Whole milk yougert or 4% cottage cheese. Personally I like the Stonyfield Farms yougert. They have unflavored whold milk yougert and flavored "yo-baby" whole milk yougert for babies. It's organic and yummy too.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009