Do you think it's o.k. to threaten a spanking?

I mean, say it but not actually do it. Just to get the kids attention to stop doing whatever it is. Same goes for threatening a time out, if they don't listen. It gives them the choice to determine if what they are doing is worth that punishment. Is this a terrible thing? I have been doing it. It works for him. He's 3 1/2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• You better be prepared to spank if you are going to threaten it. There is nothing more demeaning to your authority than not following through.

ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If it works for you then do it. But you have to be prepared to make good on your threat if the time comes.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• As long a you are willing to back that threat up...If you said "If you don't stop that,I will spank you".. You better be prepared to spank..Kids are smart. They learn quick.

Answer by louise2 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't like it if you aren't going to follow through. This teaches the child to not believe what you say.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009