How much do you spend on Grocery's?

For a family of 6, that includes formula for one and diapers for two, I spend about $1100.00 a month. I watched a rerun of the doctor phil show and they had on this family that only spends $600.00 a month. I would love to cut down on my grocery bill. What do you do to save? I already clip coupons.

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 2:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• for our family of 3, I spend around $30 a week
    Anonymous

• We eat a lot of fresh foods and stay away from processed foods and try to eat organic as much as possible. I try to keep it at about $500-600 a month for a family of 4 ( 2 adults, a toddler and newborn), but often spend closer to $700. It's an awful lot to spend, but we eat well and are all healthy.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I know it's gotten crazy. I don't buy bix food. I buy fresh veggies, fruit, brown rice, lean meats, juice and other normal stuff. We do buy ice 1/2 gal of ice cream once a week, for our movie night and two bags a chips for our game night, but nothing crazy.... I also watched the rachel ray show, also another family of 5 who only spends $500.00 a month. I try and I would love not to spend so much, but by the time you add diapers, and formul and baby food thats at least 200 right there. I am still going to keep trying. I bought a sma club card thinking that I would save money LOL what a thought, if only it worked out that way. There meats can be cheaper at times... Just looking for tips :-)
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I spend less than 400 a month for 3 of us. I buy meat at the meat market every 4 months or so, that's anywhere between 50 & 100. I buy store brand on most everything, unless the brand name is cheaper (and sometimes it is) or if the brand name is on sale and cheaper than the store brand. I plan my menus for two weeks at a time, and spend way less then, b/c I don't buy for meals I *might* make, and then don't. I also use my leftovers, and will do a potluck type thing if there aren't enough leftovers from just one meal, we'll combine leftovers from two or three. I go thru my pantry, freezer, etc. every couple of months and see what I have that will make meals and plan around that, and that will save money for a couple of weeks, as I will only have to buy basics like milk, fresh veggies and bread. I shop at a bread outlet store, where I can get like 3 loaves of bread for a dollar. I buy on sale and freeze, like OJ, bread, etc.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Lord we are a family of 7 and I spend around 800-900 a month in food. We have little ones who are home all day and eat snacks as well as all meals at home. DH packs his lunch for work as do two of my DD's. My son who is 23 packs lunch as well. I pack too. It is cheaper believe it or not. I also love to cook and we do have nice sit down dinners each night. We eat many fresh fruits and veggies and anyone who has tried knows the healthier you eat the more expensive it gets.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009