The federal government is raising the tax on cigarettes from .39 to 1.01 per pack to finance President Obama's plan to provide health care to uninsured children. Whether you smoke or not, do you think this is unfairly singling out one segment of society to pay for another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No.
    Anonymous

• Now this is just MY opinion, but I think it's fair.
    I have to deal with smokers passing on their toxins and contributing to second hand smoke, which is more dangerous than actually smoking, and THEY don't think they should pay for my suffering? They just want to light up wherever they feel (in front of doorways, in restaurants, cars, etc.).
    I hope this will encourage them to either quit or help them realize that what they do affects others.
    My husband is a smoker and I hope he gets tired of paying more for his filthy cigs because it's bad for the people around you and we are the ones who have to deal with the health risks AGAINST our will, so yeah they should pay for it. against theirs.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think they are going to tax alcohol also. But not to the same extreme. It is for children 14 and under, why this age to cap out at? Why not 17 instead?
    Anonymous

• do you think this is unfairly singling out one segment of society- no. smoking is a choice, not a segment of society.
    to pay for another? no- because smoker's kids aren't exempted from the program.
    They could be paying for their own kids health care.

The program isn't covered under the Constitution, and you could make your argument that way, but the way you argued your point is flawed.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• But it's not going specifically to people who are harmed by second-hand smoke. If it were I could see some sense to it.
    Anonymous

• Yes. They should not tax an ADDICTION. Smokers don't want to smoke most of the time, it just has hold of them and they can't break free. I don't know what they should tax instead, maybe junk food and lower the price of fresh produce. And charge extra for using the drive thru at fast food chains. lol
    Anonymous

• You mean they have raised the cig tax. Smoking is not a necessity in life. They should have raised taxes on beer, wine and liquor too.

I do not smoke, I am glad the raised taxes on Cigs.

Answer by louise2 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• and if smoking is so unhealthy they should just make it illegal. plain and simple. yes i'm a smoker and i feel this way!
    Anonymous

• They tried proabiton once already..didnt work so well did it?
    Anonymous

• I want to know what happens when a bunch of smokers quit. My husband and I quit because it got too expensive and for health reasons. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have. Now... wheres the tax money?
    Anonymous