Is it safe to tan while pregnant?

Im going to be pregnant during the summer and I love to swim but is it safe for me to be in the sun? I know of the "pregnancy glow" but if I cant be in the sun how do I get it?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 2:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I will be 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow (31st). I had my first doctor's appointment last Tuesday (24th). I got a big packet of info. This is what it says about sunbathing/tanning beds...

1) Exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light may increase or intensify pigmentation of your skin in preganacy. Some women notice the mask of pregnancy (chlosma), in which they have darkened areas on the face.
    2) The primary danger in sunbathing or using a tanning be is that it puts you at increased risk for skin cancer. This risk is present for the pregnant or non-pregnant woman.
    3) If you choose to sunbathe, use a sunscreen that will provide some protection to the skin.
    4) The sun or tanning bed is NOT dangerous to your unborn baby.

Hope that helps.
    Marybeth

Answer by Marybeth at 7:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's never safe to tan.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My OB told me that while it is never safe to tan but especially not while pregnant. There are no studies about what the direct radiation could do to a fetus.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I was told that it was fine to be in the sun, just not to overhaet because that is what will harm the baby if you get too hot, not the sun! I have friends that their Dr. told them that it was ok to lay in the tanning bed while prebhant, not sure about that though. I wouldn't ever do that! I laid in the sun while I was pregnant! I would cover up my belly though! Don't know why, i just felt better doing that!
    Anonymous

• I remember back in the summer of '97 when I was about 4 or 5 months pregnant with my first son I went in my sister's pool and as I was swimming could feel the pressure of the baby. Thought it was cool. But darn it a day or so later I got a yeast infection. I actually stopped tanning years ago. Don't want to get wrinkles early or get skin cancer.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The main concern is dehydration and getting overheated. Just be smart about it. Use spf 30+ wear a hat and a shirt or coverup and drink plenty. Don't let yourself get too hot and don't be in the sun between 10-4pm if possible bc the sun causes the most damage bn those hours.
    Anonymous

• I SEEN ON THE LOCAL NEW THAT YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAN WHILE PREGGERS BECAUSE SOMTHING ABOUT VITAMIN D FROM THE SUN WHICH MAKES BABYS BONES HUGE.....IM SERIOUS !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's not more harmful to be in the sun when you're pregnant than when you're not. But as Marybeth wrote, the risk of getting unwanted pigmentation increases.
    listo

Answer by listo at 7:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• No fake baking but tanning while out in the sun day to day will not harm the baby.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2009