How to get my 2 yo to listen

my son doesn 't listen to me the only one he listens to is my SO He's fine when were together but when It's just me and my son he fake whins, hits and when I punish him he laughs and if I put him in time out he won't sit down. I don't know what to do I try to keep the same thing going as my SO but it's not working.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the only thing I can say is that you have to be consistent. Don't threaten it if you honestly aren't planning on doing it. I have a 2 year old too. Also, let them know you are serious. Don't laugh or smile when you are correcting him. And make sure he knows why he is being punished so that he understands he got into trouble. Other then that 2 year olds can be difficult. They are trying to be independent and learning so much at one time too. Sometimes they will act out also b/c they have a hard time communicating what they want or need.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• keep putting him in timeout. use a playpen if you ahve to...if you get out..put him back..if it taeks 100x doing it..DO IT. it atkes consistency and you ahve to be strong and the parent and not let him win....if your letting him get out of timeout and you don tput him back..he wins.
    my 2 yr old is a lil firecracker but she knows now..you go in timeout..you say..2 minutes....she apologiezes and kows better than to push us
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009