Gripe water question-

I've been giving my 2 week old gripe water when he's gassy and he burps and it seems to help. Well, the last couple of days, he's been really fussy when he has a bowel movement. He gets really red in the face, pushes really hard and sometimes cries.
I know Mylacon can cause constipation, but can gripe water? Could his straining be from the gripe water? Is it safe to give such young babies chamomile or mint tea, since they easy tummy problems? Is there any natural remedies for gas in young babies?

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never gave you two anything for gas . so I can not help there.. But you might want to stop giving him the meds for gas to see if that helps..You might want to try a very small amount of prune juice. But if that does not work consult with his doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I doubt it's the gripe water.
    If you want to try chamomile or peppermint tea, you can. An alternative is teething tablets - the main ingredient is chamomile. The tablets dissolve quickly in spit. Peppermint is good for upset tummies - like the fennel in gripe water. Chamomile is good for irritability and calming babies down.
    Other than that, check with his doctor. Constipation is a miserable thing to live with for both mommy and baby (been there for 1.5 years now!).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009