Are you addicted to foreign oil?

When the POTUS had his press conference today and spoke about the changes in the auto industry, he made a comment that Americans are addicted to foreign oil. I found that rather arrogant. I think that many of us would prefer that we are offered the choice to be addicted to domestic oil, however the Democrats refuse to give us a supply. Aren't they effectively trying to change our addiction to oil to an addiction to another energy resource? And if so, will it be produced domestically, or will we import those resources as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we should rely more on domestic oil instead of foreign oil. What really gets me is that we are steady importing oil from other countries while we have citizens of our own country out of work because US oil companies have to scale back production. My husband works or should i say worked for an offshore oil drilling company until he just recently got laid off due to lack of available drilling contracts. Now he is one of the many on unemployment. Is this a problem that could be fixed? You bet. The US should automatically use domestic oil before even thinking about importing. Do any of you know how many people it takes to opperate one offshore drilling rig? If the US relied more heavily on domestic oil there would be a greater need for oil rigs which in turn would create more jobs. Not just on the rigs themselves, but also in refineries, transport, corporate offices and so on.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• As a nation we are dependent on foreign oil. We have the biggest oil reserves in the WORLD yet we dont drill because the tree huggers won't let it be. We have the democrats to thank for the shape our oil problems. Really irks me now that I thought about it.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I get my weekly "fix!" (when I fill up my car) LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Drill here. Drill now. Feed our own addiction.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• American's have the choice to buy a hybrid for quite a few years. We are a nation of drivers. We do not have massive public transit as our nation's infrustructure is not set up that way. Rightfully so. Americans believe in the individual freedom to pick up and go. From the GET GO, we [as a nation] have been consumed with the automobile and driving our own selves from point a to point b... Nothing is going to change that. If there was enough interest in hybrids AND there was an affordable price tag, AND there were automobile choices to feasiblly transport a family of 4+ around on a vacay, then maybe American's would be on board. Till then, Drill Baby Drill...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Exactly Ron. Just like the tree huggers hurt the lumber industry of Oregon and now we have to IMPORT lumber (while we have an ample supply, but too many liberals in the way)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ronjwake

Don't stereotype every democrat being against oil drilling. There are many moderate -democrats who are doing what they can to help people understand the need of domestic oil.

Anonymous

• 2:31 sorry did not mean to sterotype. But this is a issue that blows my mind. That is like having a garden in your back yard but buying vegetables and fruits from your neighbor that also has a garden
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• American's have the choice to buy a hybrid for quite a few years.

And hybrids cost more, are impossible to find parts for, or mechanics who work on them, and are unreliable. What kind of choice is that?
    Anonymous

• Did you read ALL of my comment, anon? lol.......

If there was enough interest in hybrids AND there was an affordable price tag, AND there were automobile choices to feasiblly transport a family of 4+ around on a vacay, then maybe American's would be on board.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009