Help me! My three year old is holy terror! How do I get her to calm down?

brittntarasmom

Asked by brittntarasmom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she get to work off all that energy through play? Do you limit her caffiene (chocolate) and sugars? That is where I would start, w/o having lots of information.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I like mama's answer, as that would be the first place to start as well.
    Anonymous

• I had to wait till my daughter turned 4, then she started turning human!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It depends on what she is doing and why. Is she throwing tantrums..is it attention based or is it too much sugar? Sleepiness or some type of change that's occurred recently. There are many factors why a child acts out and almost a different solution for each one.
    Nicole1357

Answer by Nicole1357 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My four year old son is the same way. And yes he plays outside all day long when it is warm enough but when its not I let them do enough inside that it should wear them out. We will go somewhere that he can work off his energy (like Mcdonalds that has a play ground or a skating ring) If that don't work then u should probably talk to ur pediatrician and see what they suggest. Also cut down on or completely take away caffiene and sugary foods and drinks. They will make kids very hyper.
    danamshelton

Answer by danamshelton at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm sorry that your daughter is a holy terror. I know your feeling. My 4yr old is the same way and I've started limiting sweets, putting her to bed early, listen or watch movie while trying to go to sleep and everything and nothing seems to work. She has so much energy that she has to be made several times to go to bed and if not she is still wide awake at 2am and she's done that and thats when we started making her turn over and face the wall. Good luck!
    ToshaCooper

Answer by ToshaCooper at 10:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would check with pediatrician because a child at this age needs her sleep consistently so she can process the world of input she is receiving. She also needs a fair amount of exercise and don't forget to check her developmental milestones, they say that at 3 a child should be able to follow at least one instruction and if that instruction is "It'd time to go to bed" "Let's go to bed" or something like that then it should be accomplished, if not, there could be something in her bed routine not consistent. There could be many scenarios but my best recommendation is to talk with your pediatrician about it. I hope things get better, she needs her solid sleep.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009