What would you do?( carseat related)

Ok what would you do in this situation? you have a 11 month old little one( whom at the nine month appointment was 22 pounds) and you already have the child in a convertible carseat( rear facing) in a two door car...your state law only states that a child under 80 pounds needs to be in a carseat( doesn't state what kind or which facing) would you switch them around before they were one?? it getting to be near impossible to get the child in and out of the car( getting a new one soon hopefully) oh i know some moms here rear face until much later that is fine with me just not the thing for me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I turned my son forward facing at 9 months (no bashing), he also weighed 35 lbs when he was a year old. He is so skinny now, he is 6.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, I would leave my child rear facing for a little while longer.
    Anonymous

• if he cant manage the rear facing any longer i would just turn him around
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would say use your best judgement. My daughter didn't hit 20lbs till she was 18 months old, where son his 20lbs at 5 months!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Making the decision to go front facing should have nothing to do with weight or height, and everything to do with age. It is, above all, your decision, but just remember that the younger they are, they more weak their neck muscles and spines are, and are more likely to succumb to serious injury in the event of a front end collision.

If you are getting a new car soon, how soon is soon? If it is within 2 months, I personally would leave the both of them rear-facing and deal with the inconvenience for a few more months to protect my child.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you can, put child forward facing in the middle seat. I know a few others that went forward facing before 1 year because of weight. Middle seat is safest so if you can get there, that would help too.
    Anonymous

• I put mine forward facing at around 8 months. He screamed his head off the first 8 months facing backwards. I dreaded going anywhere, and had to plan out the quickest route.
    Anonymous

• I would never turn a child before 1, it's unsafe and irresponsible.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would rear face and live with it being difficult. I would never risk my son's life to make mine easier. I plan to keep my son rear facing as long as possible.
    But you have to make that choice... is the risk of injury and death in the event of an accident worth it to make your life a little easier?
    1 and 20 is a minimum... but it doesn't mean it's safe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'd rear face. My LO is almost 13 months and weighs over 20 pounds but I see no need to front face him. I am a good driver, but not everyone is. I got hit last summer. It's really about the development of the neck and back muscles, not weight and age. I wouldn't take the chance.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009