• In the Spotlight:

I plan on moving out of the county about 2 hours away...my ex says he is taking me to court and going to make it so I have to stay in the same county, is this possible? At the moment noone has custody, noone pays child support-they stay with him mostly because I work night shift (working on getting on days)

I was planning on waiting until my oldest was out of school for the summer ...to move. Not sure now if I should wait-or move now, establish myself and postpone any custody matters until I am more stable. I need a gameplan....

If I file for child support in the current county custody matters may make me look unstable...should I file for child support in the county I plan on moving to?

enuffizenuff

Asked by enuffizenuff at 2:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• ok my mom and i were gonna move but she had custody of me and she was worried about the same thing i don't think they can make you stay but i would ask a lawyer
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If there is no court order preventing you from moving then the most he can do is file now to get one to prevent it. Yes, judges do sometimes order them. When we first got guardianship of the g-kids we could not move from the county of the courts jurisdiction without prior approval.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If I was your SO, I would say the same thing..and act on it..
    why would you want to move his kids 2 hours away from their father???
    They need him just as much as they need you!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes they can make you stay I have seen it happen, I had a friend who moved back home with her 2 boys and she left her husband. She moved a few states away she was served with papers that ordered her back to the state she left giving her exhusband temporary custody and if she didnt comply he would have goten full custody. So she found a place to live and a job and was given custody again. I have also seen that if you have a very good reason like a job and you could make way more there or have family who needs you there like a sick mom they can make exceptions but you would probably be paying and driving the kids yourself when it was his turn for visitation. You can move and chance it maybe he wont really file or you can start the process where you are now. Im not sure why you havent filed for child support by now those kids deserve it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• 2 Hours in the same state, is not the same as moving
    OUT of state..
    Her friend above me had to move back to the state with her children..because
    the state she left had jurisdiction of those kids..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• In Ohio and MI they cannot make you stay. Even if he has court papers stating you can't leave..you can get them over turned. They cannot stop you from getting better jobs and improving the life of you and your children. Get a lawyer and see what they say. Personally speaking I would think long and hard before I took my kids away from their dad. He is not the same person to them as your ex husband. They have a different relationship...think long and hard about how the children will feel.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009