What would have happened if Bush's plan to get rid of Social Security and have people's retirement invested in the stock market would have been made law?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was actually for this plan. I want to be responsible for myself in my later years, not depend on my government. The economy is full of peaks and valleys--we just happen to be somewhere in the middle of Death Valley right now! I believe that it will rebound though, as long as the right people are making decisions.
    threeisenuff

Answer by threeisenuff at 2:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Social security will be gone by the time most of us retire. With the baby boomers getting ready to retire it will be all dried up
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Listening to left wing crazies again op? The plan was for you to have the CHOICE of investing your SS. AND if aren't retiring in the next 6 or 8 years, I wouldn't worry. If left alone the market will correct itself. I figure it takes Obama another 2 yrs or so figure this out and leave it alone, then another couple to fix itself. But at least it was an option...what's the other side offered? Empty promises of "reform"

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• "You should know what you're talking about before asking a stupid question. It wasn't a plan to "get rid of social security" and it wasn't going to take anyone's retirement and invest it in the stock market. Sheesh... get your facts straight."

Oh, excuse me for not having all the answers. If I did, would I ask the question? No, because I would already know the answer! You can get your point across without being a brat about it.

Anonymous

• I'm a late "baby-boomer" age 52. Don't be gloating, all you younger people, by the time my husband and I are ready to retire there isn't going to be anything left either, or if there is, it will be gone by the time we are 80 and really need it. Yes, we are putting money in a 401k , which is disappearing, too. We are all going to be living off canned dog food in the very near future--if we can even afford that.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• OP, you might want to educate yourself. Bush was NOT doing away with SS. He was giving people the CHOICE to decide where they want their money spent... And you do know that SS is suppose to start running out in 10 years, right? So, do you have a backup plan?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Nope pagan most of us, younger people, see the forest for the trees and are taking care of our own retirement.  I don't believe there will be SS when me and my husband retire.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I do feel bad for your generation tho. I am sure ya'll never thought it would get this bad!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The plan would have allowed us the option not done away with SS. We would have invested our money in what we put a lot of our money in. It is safe and we are doing well. We know there will be no social security for us. We find it sad we have to pay in and will never get that back. We should have the choice what to do with our hard earned money.
    Anonymous

• Hell I just recieved my social security benifits expalanation today. I will have to work till I am dead I think it is what it said.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009