Believing without seeing

The question about the moon landing got me thinking. What do you believe in that you haven't seen first hand? Or do you not believe anything you can't confirm yourself? If yes to some and no to others, what's the difference? How many of these can you truly say you have first hand knowledge of? Not read in books, or seen on television - which can obviously be false. Does the size of the "conspiracy" or the number of believers determine viability?
Examples:
Did we land on the moon?
Did the Holocaust happen?
Did 9/11 happen?
Are we really the third planet from the sun? Do we really orbit the sun? Does the moon really orbit us?
Do any of the other planets truly exist?
Do viruses, bacteria exist?
Did dinosaurs truly exist?
Did Adam and Eve truly exist?
Does Europe really exist ?

dottieanna29

Asked by dottieanna29 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• wow, now I feel Philosophical, LOL
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've seen a dinosaur once. Sober as the day is long, saw a little chicken lizard in the ditch. Reminded me of a velociraptor, what i've seen in museums anyway. Of course, it was dusk, but I have no idea what animal walks on two legs, has a long tail and little hands in front of it...it was unnusual! Tell me what you think it was, because I still swear I saw a dinosaur lmao
    Anonymous

• I actually have never questioned anything on your list, I just kind of believed it. Can I explain my reasons for believing it? Not really. I just may start now! Whats the one about Europe? People don't think it exists?
    Anonymous

• OMG anon 1:03 I swear I saw something like that once! Some kind of lizard ran my me and my cousin and I swear it was up on 2 legs with wing like things coming out the side of it's head. It ran too fast for us to get a good look but we both agreed that's what it looked like!
    Anonymous

• You didn't say where you saw it but there is something called a frilled lizard. It runs upright on its hind legs and does kind of look like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, except that its about 2 feet tall. It has a frill around its neck that it spreads out when threatened.

Europe was just in there because a lot of people have never been there. So, if you don't believe in things you've never seen, why believe in anyplace you've never been? Seems ridiculous doesn't it?
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• How about does the universe really exist? Wowzers....!
    Anonymous

• Well I think it is not only rediculous to doubt the Holocaust, there is photographic documentation, it is also insulting to those who suffered, have family that suffered or died in it. No one doubts there were slaves, why doubt the Holocaust?
    Anonymous

• Do we really exist or are we a figment of someone's imagination?

Sometimes you just need to use your personal judgement and take that leap of faith in order to believe in things you have never seen.
    I have never "seen" God, but I know he exists. I can't provie it, but I believe! ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2009