wht is the best way to dry up your breastmilk?

my son is almost 3 weeks old, and my breastmilk just isnt cutting it for him...so i started him on formula last night and he loves it...but i am in so much pain, and i dont know the fastest way to get this over with.

mommy2-1w1-2go

Asked by mommy2-1w1-2go at 12:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure what you mean by "my breastmilk just isn't cutting it for him" but if you have any questions about nursing and how to get him back to nursing feel free to message me.

Time is the only thing that will "dry up" your milk. Don't bind your breasts, that will increase your chances of getting mastitis. The medications that used to be given are dangerous. Sage tea might help.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• first things first, at three weeks, i thought my DD hates breastfeeding, it just wasnt enough i though. i stuck with it though, and she is now 10 months and still b/fing. if you really want to nurse stick with it. maybe get a pump and pump milk out and give it to him in a bottle. (this being said get a hospital grade, like medela lactia plus) contact a lactition...i recommend one from your local la leauche league. i pumped milk and gave it to DD for the first 6 weeks until she breastfed. dont give up this early.
    if you do quit...try putting cabbage leaves in our bra
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 12:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yup I was gonna say the same thing as the last lady did. Boil some cabbage leaves and dry them and stick them in your bra. For a few days or so.
    BOREDMAMA

Answer by BOREDMAMA at 12:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My OB just told me to break open the stem on the cabbage leaves... they don't need to be boiled. But, everybody has their own way of doing things.

Good luck.
    kaseysmommy1003

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• 3 weeks means that your son is going through a growth spurt. If you aren't sure you are making enough milk, you need to breastfeed on demand. I wrote a journal about growth spurts. You do NOT have to stop nursing. Here's that journal.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/696218/_I_don_t_have_enough_milk_to_continue_breastfeeding

Now, if you don't want to keep breastfeeding, that's another story. If you want to quit, cold cabbage leaves in your bra will help you dry up. It's a little strange, but it works. Just put the cabbage in the fridge, then take one leaf out, and place it in your bra...it fits pretty well into the shape of your breast.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Oh, boiling the cabbage leaves won't help. It's the COLD that helps.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Benadryl, and eating mint will dry it up
    newbiemom12

Answer by newbiemom12 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I've never heard of boiling the cabbage. It needs to be cold. Break off a leaf for each boob and put it in your bra. When I had to stop nursing, I would pump just for a minute or two to relieve the pain and that's it. It'll make the process a little longer, but more comfortable.
    LRBsMommy

Answer by LRBsMommy at 3:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Cold cabbage leaves dry the milk out.. I've never heard of boiled ones.
    renajennjenn

Answer by renajennjenn at 6:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Stick with the breastfeeding if you can for a little longer. It has a way of working itself out. Cold cabbage leaves will do the trick though, and the coldness with help with the heating of your breasts, which probably will happen from them filling up.
    CRSE1214

Answer by CRSE1214 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2008