juice

when did you start giving your kids juice?? and what kind?? bottle or sippy?? my son is 4 1/2 months old and i was just wondering. hes been on cereal for 2 months and fruits and veggies for 2 weeks. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask a doctor on this one. Only because of the choking hazard. It depends on the child and how well the child can swallow liquids that are not very thick..water, juice..etc. I believe I didn't give either of my kids juice at 4 months, but having a hard time remembering. Sorry.
    Nicole1357

Answer by Nicole1357 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I gave him some in his bottle not alot though, the Gerber brand, Should ask your dr how old though
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• 6 months, mixed with water (50/50) and in a sippy. I didn't give them juice until I had them switched to the sippy with their formula. (I wanted to be done with the bottle! lol)

I gave Juicy Juice. (still do, actually)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've always heard to only give juice in a cup. Personally, we're not big fans of juice. If my kids are thirsty, they drink water most of the time (20 mos and 3 1/2). My older one, sometimes asks for OJ, and she gets it, maybe once a day. My son, water or breastmilk ONLY.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I gave all my kids watered down juice between 6-7 months old and ONLY in a cup. And no more than 4 oz of it in a day.
    shanibug06

Answer by shanibug06 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I gave my son around 4 months, maybe before because he was constipated. But he doesnt drink a lot now (hes 7 months) and if he does its only a little. My ped told me that if I give him juice make sure its the Gerber brand because its more watered down and not as strong as the juice we drink.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Juice is the least healthy thing for baby to drink because it's full of sugar... A serving of real fruit is more nutritious than a serving of juice. Plus kids tend to start preferring it to water and milk, both of which they need a lot of. I'd just wait... You may need to give it when your baby is sick to the stomach and can't do milk, and even then you should dilute it. Never give it in a bottle. My 22 month-old drinks water whenever she's thirsty. Juice is for when she's sick or if there's a really special occasion (out to a restaurant or something) or if we've made fresh smoothies. She LOVES fruit and eats whole fruit any chance she gets.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009